Thread: Rules on audio

Default Rules on audio

What are the rules on audio use? If I buy something from iTunes, am I allowed to use it in a non-commercial video I will display on YouTube and on my website?

If not, how do I get permission to use such a piece in my work. I'm talking classical music.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by photographer View Post
    What are the rules on audio use? If I buy something from iTunes, am I allowed to use it in a non-commercial video I will display on YouTube and on my website?

If not, how do I get permission to use such a piece in my work. I'm talking classical music.
    It doesn't matter what genre of music - simply buying from iTunes, ripping a CD or recording from radio - you're using someone else's work and without permisiion from the copyright holder - you're breaking the law. There are multiple threads on here explaining all - notably - this one =-

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/wedding...ographers.html
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 02-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.

I thought that was the case. I was just wondering if iTunes gave you any rights. So where can I go to purchase such a license?

This is a touchy subject with some people. None commercial use does not include using it as backing music to show your photos on your web site, so you can sell your services, that is definitely commercial use.

Technically you are suppose to get a licence to use music in your videos, in some cases a "Private Function Video Dubbing Licence" or PPL licence would be the one usually recommended or the other common licence is "Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society" MCPS or LM Licence (Limited Manufacture Licence) This is often used when making a video of a band or choir performing copyright work. The other one is "Performing Right Society" or PRS BUT in this case you are not just making a DVD you are "broadcasting" because you are putting it up on your website this is a totally different ball game.

You are stepping into the world of Limited Online Music Licence (LOML). This is kind of silly money area for what you want it for, so I recommend that you find some copyright free music to use, pay a one off small fee and all the world of licence headaches are gone. OR find a piece of music you like and contact the composer and ask them if you can use it.

I'm not an expert in these matters as with any legal advice tack it with a pinch of salt unless you are paying for it.

Hope this helps you out a little.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by photographer View Post
    ...I was just wondering if iTunes gave you any rights...
    If anything - it probably removes some...