Thread: HOW DO YOU...film a scene with a TV in it??

Default HOW DO YOU...film a scene with a TV in it??

Wondering how it is done without getting a poor image of the TV in the frame. I have heard it is something to do with the frequency ....but of what and how can things be set so it is okay??? Over to you guys.

obviously it depends how the tv figures in the shot. is it the main feature or secondary to the main action flickering away in the background ? if its the latter have you considered PIP ? with a bit of reshaping and resizing you can achieve passable results.

Do you mean a CRT TV? You may need to know its screen refresh rate.
    I thought those TVs refreshed their screens at 50Htz. Perhaps if the camera's exposure time is longer than 1/50th sec; then each camera frame will superimpose more than 1 'tv frame'. And if less than 1/50th sec; it will record a bit of one 'tv frame' and a bit of the next.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Do you mean a CRT TV? You may need to know its screen refresh rate.
    I thought those TVs refreshed their screens at 50Htz. Perhaps if the camera's exposure time is longer than 1/50th sec; then each camera frame will superimpose more than 1 'tv frame'. And if less than 1/50th sec; it will record a bit of one 'tv frame' and a bit of the next.
    I recall trying this a while back (when i had a CRT TV). Setting the shutter to 1/50 seemed to give no issue.
    I think this works in the UK because the TV is 50Hz (UK) interlaced. If you have the shutter set any faster and there's a risk you'll only pick up the odd lines or the even lines, any slower and you run the risk of getting overlap with the next frame. But I'm not entirely convinced my thinking is sound.
    Tim

If you think of it like a wheel spinning with a just strobe light flashing when you set the strobe to the right speed the wheel looks as though it's not moving. It's the same kind of principle, just adjust the shutter speed on the camera and you TV will look fine.