Thread: HDV camcorder colours

Default HDV camcorder colours

I'm getting very curious.

Maybe this is the place when I will finally receive an answer on my long time question. For example, I shoot my videos with Sony HDR-HC9 cassette camcorder. Unedited scene with good light sometimes looks very pale, black colour looks like darg grey etc.
    Where is the secret of great and deep colour saturation and life like feeling? Of course, I'm not comparing cassette camroders with DSLR, which got such a great colours...

Take a look on this video for example -

Thank you.

This is probably going to be a bit different depending on what NLE you are using.

Ideally you'll have a YWaveform monitor, and one that you can view at the same time as viewing the video monitor. If so, open it for a clip. Down the left hand side of the graph are numbers, the lowest being 16 and the highest being 235, and in between these numbers you'll find the information on the graph (the luminance levels) are spread, but dont reach either as low as 16 or as high as 235.

You need to make adjustmens to bring your black levels to 16 and white levels to 235.

If you find an "auto contrast" effect, that attempts to do this, sometimes it can get it reasonably well, but more often than not you need to either scrap that or use it as a base for fine tuning.

It may all be a bit different termonology depending on what software you use, ideally you'll have a YWaveform monitor and be able to adjust "setup", to bring the blacks to 16 and a "gain" adjustment to bring the whites to 235.

David.