Thread: Which software to use to create one video from clips saved in several formats?

Default Which software to use to create one video from clips saved in several formats?

I looked around the forums before posting this, and I didn't see any threads that specifically answered my question.

I have several video clips on my hard drive that were saved in different file formats (avi, mkv, flv, wmv, etc). I am looking for a software program that will allow me to edit those videos and cut out the sections of each video that I want to keep,then paste them all in one master video that I can send to my family.

My primary concern is to not degrade the quality of the original videos in the conversion process, and to make the copy/paste in the new file format look seamless.

Is that easier said then done? Is there a editing program out there that will do the above without a great deal of difficulty?

Thank you for your help!

2. Default

You should just be able to drop most of them into the timeline of most editing software (Eg. Pinnacle, Vegas, etc).
    Some clips might need converted first (Eg. the .flv and .mkv files - many editors won't accept those).

I don't think there's much you can do if they don't all have the same aspect ratio.
    Either there will be black bars on some of the clips, or you'll have to crop them in the editor.
    (Personally I wouldn't stretch them, but that might be an option too depending on your choice of editor).

I wonder if a trial version of Sony Vegas might be your best bet, especially if this is a one-off project?