Thread: Midnight Blue does something he said he would never do !

Default Midnight Blue does something he said he would never do !

I have always said I don't do animations I just don't have the patience but now I've gone and done one for this company. I don't know if it's rubbish or not I have no experience with this sort of thing. I know the subject is very dull but that's the subject.

The voices are not great because I had no budget for actors but I thought I'd have a go anyway.

As it is a dull subject, why not break it in two? You could have one for 'Information FAQ' and a separate 'Problems? FAQ'.
    The contrast seems a little too low to me, but may well be intentional for a reason I have yet to figure!
    Four minutes of that background music started to drive me up the wall, and may well be a way that you could improve the piece by changing. A little too overpowering too. Put it a little further in the background! :o

Otherwise, for a first attempt, it's a relatively good piece, and would be a viable alternative to a list of Q&A's. There are probably a few ways it could be livened up, but I'm sure others will come up with better than I could.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

It would be great if I could set it up so that when the question is clicked on the website, the animation pops up with the answer but I wouldn't know where to start. I did try and adjust the contrast but found if I raised it any more I lost the detail. It could possibly be tweaked more.

If you split it down ito individual questions, you could make the questions hyperlink to them.
    There used to be a free flash player available that included a menu down the left side that you could use for the questions, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was called! Sorry. :(
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I did try and adjust the contrast but found if I raised it any more I lost the detail. It could possibly be tweaked more.
    That's very strange, certain limitations of video recorded at set camera settings, colour spaces etc. can have this effect, but animation is created from nothing, it is fully adjustable in every way, even beyond the limits of reality. What did you use to make it?

Something I would definately change if I was you is that look it has. As you say, it's quite a dull subject. The dullness of the video really doesn't want to make me stay with it. I'd completely chage the colour scheme (I'd probably go all postman pat on it), I'd try and liven it up by adding extreme characteristics and make it that something that the subject isn't.

I never forget watching a documentary about "Only Fools & Horses", it may have been on around the time they first aired "Rock & Chips". It may even have been Nicholas Lindhurst (I can't remember for certain) that pointed out that David Jason would do stuff that people do in every day life, when he started acting he'd pick up a bacon sandwich, a cup of coffee, flick through the tv channels, all the little details that take the performace aspect away from it.

In animation this is very important, it's the stuff we all do and when we see it in "Shrek", "Surf's Up", or even the dull subject of "Up". it makes us want to watch.

Nick Park's "Creature Comforts" and especially the electricity adverts that followed, are a perfect example of how this grabs a viewers attention and gets a dull message delivered.

That's what I'd be thinking, what interactions could these two characters be involved in through conversation that would make it worth watching?

David.

I suspect the software may be unable to render high def images or handle millions of polygons, but I am sure the image could be made clearer.
    Might it be possible to add text to reinforce each Q and A? Most of the scenes have lots of space available to display the important words or phrases. In practice, I suspect that most viewers are only expected to watch it once, so it has to deliver the message in a single sitting. That is unlike many TV adverts, which get repeatedly viewed and can have CGI eye-candy; where the message can be slowly infused into the viewers brain through repetition.

I suspect that most viewers are only expected to watch it once, so it has to deliver the message in a single sitting.
    That's a good point, but I still wouldn't rule it out entierly. The concept does have that novelty factor that the corporate industry loves so much. Perhaps it is a bit like using a cannon to kill a fly. Maybe some nice motion graphic based bullet points, with V.O. for each individual question would work well.

I done the compositing on the banners on this website, there were actually about 100 of them got done for them to choose and change when suited, some in black and white and some in colour.

Home

Something like that would probably work well, film two people on green screen doing the Q & A with a bullet point animating in between them.

David.

To create the animation I used a website call xtranormal.com This creates a an animation where you can choose the camera angles, movement of the people and synchronise the mouth to a typed in script and produces a computerised voice. It creates a .flv file which I then downloaded and had to convert into an .avi. I then cut the video using Pinnacle (all I had at the time). I then took this and put it into Vegas to do the colour work (original was black and white) and the voices. So it's been rendered from a poor web level format a good few times and upscaled from SD to 720p size. This is why the image quality is poor.

I am going to try and retrieve the original from the website if I can and do it again with less number of renderings so hopefully it will look better. This is why I was loosing detail when raising the contrast, it had been well hammered already.

I like the idea of selective words added to emphasise some of the points. I think this could help this dull video be more interesting. I wanted to post it here to see what people thought, to see if it was worth the effort to put right or if it was just rubbish and not bother with it. I like trying to push myself to try new things this is how I learn so even if it's not worth doing it's all good practise and the things I learn while doing it will come good fro later projects.

Thanks for all the in put guys, as always very helpful and some good tips.

I put in some titles,