Thread: Am I expecting too much of the software?

Default Am I expecting too much of the software?

Hi,
    I have taught video editing as part of courses upto and including A level in the past. (pre HD) I originally started with Pinacle Studio 7 - 10 but gave up as it was unstable. I have been using Adobe Premier Elements for 6 years now and have found it quit stable. I currently have downloaded Sony Vegas for a months trial. I have used Windows Live Movie Maker.

I take stills using a Lumix TZ7, AVCHD lite on the same camera and full HD on a Panasonic HDC SD9. For holidays I put all together with music and burn to DVD. However with my new computer (i7 950 6Gbtriple channel 1600mhz, with 2nd 2Tb drive, blu ray recorder).

Prem Elements does not like lots of stills with video so I have started using Windows live photo to render the stills with auto pan and zoom into HD res wide screen movies. I have then put these with widescreen video from my 2 cameras. While adding music tracks the software crashes (prem el) so tried Sony and did not get as far and twice reported memory was low though sidebar gadget showed 1.5Gb free! Total adds up to about 50mins of video. Am I asking too much of the software?

Previous shorter HD projects and previous large SD projects have not been a problem.

Any ideas for the way forward?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Parker View Post
    ..Am I asking too much of the software?...
    I would suspect you're making the common error of placing full resolution stills on the timeline. Video software in general does't much care for lets say 12mp stills - Much better would be (if you haven't already) lowering the resolution of the stills to something more appropriate to video... I'm sure you'll find everything runs alot smoother ...

I used to reduce size to 1024/768 to import to Prem el but have found that windows live photo copes with al sizes when making video.
    Are you suggesting going back to just one process for stills and video in the same package?

Blog Entries

Definately resize your stills - Vegas for sure works alot better on lower res images. And stills seem to be a common cause of memory problems.

What ever NLE I am working on at the time, I always do that kind of work in After Effects, before exporting as video for the NLE.

David.