Thread: DOP/Camera Operator Needed (London) For Great Music Video!

Default DOP/Camera Operator Needed (London) For Great Music Video!

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a freelance DOP/Camera Operator to shoot a one day music video within March/April. This will be full day shoot at a few different locations.

I'm looking for somebody who has filmed before and is 100% confident with their equipment.

If shooting with a DSLR and you have a Nikon, I have 35mm, 50mm prime lenses that you could use. If you have a steadicam type frame, that would be great as there will be a few walking shots.

I just need you to record the footage. I will get it edited elsewhere. In short, you will just be required to film the performance.

I require this to be shot in 1080p.

Unfortunately there is no pay involved however I will reimburse your travel expenses.

This is a great opportunity for a DOP/Camera Operator's showreel as I can get the video played on a SKY TV channel that broadcasts to 350,000 viewers every day. This is guaranteed as my last 2 videos were aired on there too.

The shoot will take place in London.

Thank you

Are you taking the piss. Your an established producer, with your 2 previous projects aired on sky tv and you want people to work for free.

I've had an idea. I'll come and do it, you give me what you were planning on earning from it and you work for free. How does that sound?

David.

So you're not interested David?

Not in the slightest, and more to the point. I gave you a proposition, you don't seem interested either. So you are you really surprised?

I think what your doing (and many others) isn't good for the industry. If you wanted to open a burger place that could sell burgers cheaper than McDonalds, but to do so you, you came up with the business plan of always finding a supplier to give you the chips for free.

What effect do you think that would that have on the chip supplier in question, the rest of the chip suppliers and the burger industry?

David.

Blog Entries

As discussed here many a time - this industry is full of mugs willing to work for free or just ex's because they think 'ooh I'll get my work on TV'.

And of course - there are as many people ready to exploit as there are ready to be exploited.

The 'lure' of worldwide fame and fortune is as much an illusion as the promises they're based upon.

My advice to ANYONE working - value yourself - demand to be paid what you're worth. And DON'T work for nothing. EVER. If you're that desperate for an 'in' you don't belong in this industry.

(I need a bathroom tiling btw - if anyone wants to come and do it for nothing they can take pictures of their work to add to their CV).

Are you 2 on your periods this month?

Guys, this post was going out to people who want to add content to their portfolio.

I'm also a photographer. I have worked free on many projects merely because:

1. To add content to my portfolio for potential clients incase they wanted to 'hire' me for similar 'paid' work later. I'd then be in a position to demand as I'd have more clout.
    2. To work with other people who could potentially further my brand, reaching out to an audience that would be difficult otherwise

In this industry (music),the unsigned artist makes very little money. If you guys had done your research, you should know this. The artist makes little money from gigging and selling merchandise.

For many years, I worked as a Tape Op (Studio Engineer) for FREE! I'd spent 12 hour days helping out in a well known studio. The upside was that I met and networked with many different artists who I've even worked with. I knew this would be the deciding factor to work there.

Before you 2 have a sissy fit again, consider the scenario and what's on offer. This video will have a massive reach. Your name will be credited as DOP/Camera Operator. This will push your brand further. Whatever you charge otherwise is not my business but I'm asking for help in this video. That's all I'm asking. The editing I'd take care of.

You guys have got bigger and better projects going on at the moment so concentrate on those instead of ranting on a thread.

Good luck with your burger stall and bathroom fitting.

And Lovely Moderator, disabling my account due to my comments would be a very 'un-professional' thing to do hey?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pudha View Post
    And Lovely Moderator, disabling my account due to my comments would be a very 'un-professional' thing to do hey?
    I have no intention of disabling your account - and I'm slightly surprised you think I would.

At the end of the day we all have our opinions. You think it's ok to ask for free labour from someone who's made the investment in equipment (Nikon DSLR no less) when you yourself clearly aren't just starting out. And I don't. End of.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/job-mar...producers.html
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 02-19-2011 at 11:04 AM.

There's no hissy fitting going on here, jusy putting an important point accross.

As for bands (your example, and there are many other profesions who want films that they can't afford too) not making much money. I am well aware of that, no need for homework.

I can't afford a rolls royce, it doesn't mean that they will get some of their factory workers/material suppliers to work for free so that I can have one.

The bottom line is that they should only be able to get what they can afford. That's how industry works, and that through you they can get a product they can't afford is a big part of the reason that a big part of our industry isn't very strong. If they can only afford to pay a one man production team, then they should ge a one man production team, not a one man who is willing to put together a product they cant afford by getting others to do what they aren't willing to do. If they can only afford to pay you, then do it all your self or pass the project on to someone who works cheaper, and more than likely at a lower standard, the standard that they can afford.

David.

I have worked for nothing but ex's on a number of projects. All you have to do is ask, and supply your Registered Charity number when you do. That way I can tell the tax man where my time went, and get the value of the work knocked off my tax bill!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk