Thread: Hi am new please read

Default Hi am new please read

Hi did look for an introduction thread but could not find it so if there is one I apologize. I am a keen Gamer on the Xbox360, I have been enjoying recording and editing my game-play, however I have decided to try and make a go at actually trying to produce a professorial looking video and posting it on YouTube.

I have made 3 videos and understand the fundamentals of recording and editing by using a Dazzle video capture card then by editing it with Sony Vegas pro 9. However now I have decided that I want to make an effort and just bought a BlackMagic Intensity pro capture card, so I can record in HD. Then plan to use Sony Vegas Pro hence deciding to post in here. This is where I am at -- I have hooked everything up installed everything and manage to get a working station.

My first question is there a way of being able to find a video capture program compatible with my intensity pro that is able to have the option to an adjustable all the way up to full preview screen that is recording in real-time allowing me to play off of the preview screen, as it would be a good advantage.

Hope someone can help me?

THANX in advance!

HOPE THIS ALL MAKES SENSE AND NOBODY SCARES ME OFF!

Looking for friends that like doing the same thing hit me up!

What is your Vegas question?

Well I guess it would be what video capture program can I use that is compatible with my video capture card that will compress and save in a format suitable to use and edit in Sony Vegas ? If you think there is a better place for me to post this question please let know that too.

I will be asking more question later on to directly do with Vegas but right now I need help just recording my game play, so I figured that hopefully there would be someone in here that might have done what I am trying to do. Really need help starting off, is there an easier setup that I could use?

Thanks again in advance
    Last edited by JiMMySnoW; 02-17-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiMMySnoW View Post
    Well I guess it would be what video capture program can I use...
    In your first post you said you'd bought a Blackmagic Intensity capture card. I'm guessing this card will capture for you? What you save your captured video as surely should be the question? Or have I misunderstood you?

Blog Entries

Well, as I understand it the BMD Intensity Pro is recognised by Vegas and you should therefore be able to capture withing Vegas. What I didn't really understand was what you meant by:

My first question is there a way of being able to find a video capture program compatible with my intensity pro that is able to have the option to an adjustable all the way up to full preview screen that is recording in real-time allowing me to play off of the preview screen, as it would be a good advantage.

I think you're asking if you can use the Preview while you're capturing in order to play the game while watching the previw? I presume you've tried this with Vegas and it's no satisfactory. Have you tried hooking up the HDMI out of the Intensity to a TV?
    There seem to be quite a few people using XBOX/Intensity/Vegas to do exactly what you're trying to do. (I discovered these when researching the Intensity Pro - which I want soley as an output device, so didn't pay much attention to) Google/YouTube is your friend.
    Tim

Hi thanks so much for you reply's, so this is what I have found out in last two days, to do what I wanted to achieve you need a very powerful computer. A capture card allows you to capture what ever HDMI cable you put in to the input of the device, the BMD intensity pro is a capture device you need a program as well that then I guess puts it into a chosen format to your hard drive space on your computer. However most capture cards come with a program to do this, the card that I got comes with Media express but only a tiny preview screen. I manage to find a few other programs that are compatible with the card such as virtual Dub which is free but same problem I could get a bigger preview screen however the bigger the screen the more you computer will struggle ie soon as I press record the preview screen lags. So I have now got two screens, I wish I would of just accepted this in the first place(great thing is I now understand allot more from looking at all the YouTube video's I watched. There is also many settings that you need to get correct when recording in HD. So if anyone has any problems please hit me up, but for anyone that was trying to attempt to do what I was there is no way that you can get satisfactory game play unless you play on a tiny preview. I guess that I wanted to have it all on one screen so that I could work on the video as well as play, turns out that It would probably be better the way that I got it set up now. Last thing is ruffly ever minute of game play save is 1 gigabyte space so I went out and got a 1 Tera-byte hard drive just to do this. I look forward to posting more threads in here once I get to the point of editing it all. Overall I happy with what I have purchased as there are no where the amount of cables needed for when you use a Dazzle.

I have my HDMI splitter splitting my HDMI from my Xbox so one can go into the input of the capture and the TV for the Xbox allowing to still play the Xbox when I am not working on the video, the BMD intensity pro does come with a output but you have to have the media express running every time you wanna play. Then I hook up a small monitor for my PC using the VGA cable. I have decided to just use the media express program that comes with the card as I seem to get the best recordings.