Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: faking night time

Default faking night time

just messing about when I was filming something and found I could fake something by having the white balance setting differently set up....

It's good fun playing around with this sort of thing. I like to put the odd thing in my videos but stuff that only I know about. For example in my courier video the closeup of the hands are not from the lady doing the rest of that section. AND the mug been placed down on the desk right at the start of the voice over if you look closely you can see it was done by my 7 year old daughter.

And they say the camera never lies.

You've discovered an old old camera technique commonly used to shoot day as night. Setting the white ballance for tungsten lamps but shooting in dayling gives that blue look commonly assosiated with cold/night, and under exposing tops it off to make it look darker. Give it a shot and see the difference. You can even lower the exposure in post, but it's better to do it in camera.

Part of the reason this looks like night time is through the conditioning assosiated with years of use on television. It doesn't really look like night time, but it does look like night time on televison that is plenty enough to do the job.

David.

You know I am fascinated with the blue effect of night time when there is, with a fire or burning torch in the frame the contrast with the orange colour... I still want to know how to get that done properly. Best example is use in many historic or legend films & TV programmes. The new "Merlin" by the BBC comes to mind.

You are right of course its years of conditioning by TV and film...so is everyone else...however,.. experimenting with my camcorder, I can set it to night time setting and use it at night which just give me a really crappy picture that looks like it was put though a bad video effect......something to do with the ISO setting or appature, shutter speed setting?

Definately, night time settings on cameras aren't much good for general film making. Perhaps a bit more of use for documetary film making or survelance work. But it's basically messing about with a combination of a wide open iris, a very slow shutter and excessive amounts of gain.

If shooting a night scene, I prefer to have black as black blacks with well thought out and justified lights bringing out well lit highlights on the subject. A bit more what it's really like.

One of my favourite experimental shots was pointing a camera at a full length window (with a person standing right against it). Over expose the camera until the person disapears into a bright white heavenly image.

Now as the person walks towards the camera they will appear from bright white light (no sign of any background image, window etc.) a lot like in stars in your eyes but without the smoke.

David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    .. a lot like in stars in your eyes but without the smoke..
    Or the aliens leaving the ship in close encounters?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TFV View Post
    You know I am fascinated with the blue effect of night time when there is, with a fire or burning torch in the frame the contrast with the orange colour... I still want to know how to get that done properly.
    Like pointless shallow depth of field, it's de rigeur at the moment.:
    Into The Abyss: Teal and Orange - Hollywood, Please Stop the Madness
    Tim

Or the aliens leaving the ship in close encounters?
    I forgot they done it in that, more important, I've not seen it in years. Now you gave me the urge to watch it.

David.

I remember years ago a film I watched. It was in black and white. The film was about God or something. Ironically God had a long white beard and booming voice. The heaven scene everything was drenched in white light.. Odd to thing that childhood memory was set off by stumbling across a filter in FCP that did the same effect.. I did get some odd looks from the students in the editing room as I got excited by it... most of them have never seen a black and white film...

One of my favourite experimental shots was pointing a camera at a full length window (with a person standing right against it). Over expose the camera until the person disapears into a bright white heavenly image.

Now as the person walks towards the camera they will appear from bright white light (no sign of any background image, window etc.) a lot like in stars in your eyes but without the smoke.
    Good info, thanks David.
    I kind of rediscovered 'Elizabeth', the film about Elizabeth the 1st, the Cate Blanchett as Queen version,and really liked the scene where she enters the room from total whiteness, to reveal that her hair is now clipped short, etc. etc.
    Now I know how they did it!
    For one of my epics I envisage a scene with someone in heaven, paradise, whatever, and might use the technique in that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast