Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for people who have edited on both macs and p.c

Default looking for people who have edited on both macs and p.c

This is not intended to start a mac vs pc war !!!!!

1.my situation, a very good friend of mine as written a great screen play,
    he is currently meeting producers, and people in the know.

2.if this does not come off, and get picked up by the producers then, he wants to go into production for himself.

3.he as asked me to edit, the film forhim (help) so as, from experiance i have come to the forums which i have, always gotten a good wealth of knolwedge, from in the past.

4.for 20 years i have been building, reparing, selling pc's, i am not biased towards mac computers, i have just managed to get done what, i have needed to on pc.

5.the reason i have come here, is i am interested in two programs for editing, one is adobe premiere pro cs5, and the other of course is, final cut pro studio.

6.i have read that these two programs, are more than capable of doing the job at hand.
    the other program i read about was, avid but there seems to be so many programs, from them
    that i decided to look, into the two listed above.

7.so the question at hand is, can some one who as had a go with both programs listed, give me a heads up as to why i would be better off with one over the other, i am going to post this in the adobe section also, as i like to get as much info on a subject before parting, with a lot of cash to take this project on.

thank you for taking the time to reply

CORRSA

The eternal questions..... Mac vs PC and FCP vs Premiere Pro vs Avid. Hmmm...

Well, we use both Mac and PCs and both Premiere Pro and FCP. Honestly, they will all do the job perfectly well. They each have features missing in the other, they each have their flaws and if you've not used either then you could pick one at random and start work. Honestly, don't get too hung up about it. Toss a coin and which ever way it falls you are good to go.

In terms of hardware platforms, if you can build your own PC (which is sounds like you can) then PCs will work out cheaper and you have more graphics card options (use NVidia for the CUDA acceleration). The offset to this saving is that Adobe Production Premium is more expensive to buy than Final Cut Studio, so in terms of straight cost there's really not much in it. Of course, you can run Production Premium on a Mac too (we do).

Do you think you will use After Effects or Photoshop or Encore for Blu-ray? If so, go with Adobe.

If you want to use Motion or Color (you can color grade in Adobe too) and don't want Blu-ray authoring (BD authoring in Final Cut Studio is a joke) then go with Final Cut Studio.

All the plug-ins we use are available for both programs and on both hardware platforms, but if you are planning on using any specific plugins then make sure it's available and factor that cost in to your decision making process.

Adobe upgraded from CS4 to CS5 early in 2010. Final Cut Studio is rumoured to be due for an upgrade in the next few months. CS6 may come along later this year too, but no one who knows the release dates of either will be allowed to tell you, so no point asking on the web, because no one really knows when they will be released, what new features will be included or how much they will cost
    Last edited by David Partington; 02-19-2011 at 01:03 PM.

IF you are going to use professional editing software then be very aware of the hardware and graphics card you need for a PC. The CS5 has a mercury engine ( not an outboard motor) which saves one from rendering stuff for playback.. you need to look very closely on what is needed or it won't work. I had a big problem wit PCs and a lack of knowledge in the technical area and went out and brought a computer with a Corel programme with the belief that it would work okay.... It didn't. To edit HD images one needs a fair bit of RAM correct graphics card and a quick processor. My Laptop would do anything other than SD images.. I looked into building a computer and using Abode CS5 the cost prohibitive. I brought a imac and final cut as a package with the faith that apple made the programme to run on the computer which is does with less processor power than a PC based programme would need. My iMAC has 2.66GHz quad core which is sufficient. You look at sopme of the PC based programmes to see if its that low.

CUDA graphics cards aren't required for the Mercury Engine. The ONLY things that are accelerated by CUDA at the effects written to use it. It does not accelerate normal rendering (unless you are using those specific effects) or playback of AVCHD or H.264 footage. If in doubt - check the Adobe support forums. It's been covered several times.

I remember looking at some of the explaination videos on the adobe site. When using After Effects you needn't render the footage for playback is what it said. Sorry I am not an expert on the AE however I know it works well on a MAC.

oooohhh crikey!

What are you most comfortable using?
    They are just tools - and with a feature you are looking at fairly simple cuts which isn't going to tax either.
    As for effects (if you need those) then AE is powerful when in skilled hands... explosions... disintegrating buildings with death rays etc etc .....Motion is capable but is more of a text graphics tool for tv makers and corporate video grooviness (of course it can do more....).
    Grading - Color (with fcp studio) is good - but can royally cock-up your timeline on the round trip from fcp. (it's easily confused).. especially if using any time ramps ...

What you should consider is soundtrack..... DOn't underestimate the production value your film will gain from a well mixed soundtrack.... and FCP SOundtrack Pro is excellent... although really you should consider blagging some free studio time from a studio.

If your film is Good - and you have faith in it - then go for whatever software you are most comfortable with/used to... then (if the film is good) you show it to someone with a good colour grading software and they grade it for free.
    DItto with the soundscape.

Well.. just my three pennies worth.

"man behind the gun" .... whatever program that you use, the result is depend on you ... ! first time, i use Avid Liquid and Adobe Premiere to edit my video, but when i had mac, i use FCP 7, and i think FCP 7 is more Complete and have a lot Shortcut that make my job more faster. but for Video Effect i still use Adobe After Effect on Mac. I'm From Indoensia, i'm sorry if my english is bad. God Bless

Get a trial copy (can you do that with FCP?) if not you can for Adobe. Try it out, look at online tutorials and learn how to do things.

Personally I use CS5 and these are my favourite things about it..
    1. Photoshop (and other CS) integration. I love that I can import photoshop layers and handle them in the same way Photoshop would.
    2. Ability to mix framerates/formats/resolutions in one timeline. I never have to worry, whereas FCP makes it trickier.
    3. GPU accelerated effects/playback engine. With CS5 and my old processor, adding hefty effects won't lag me down.. smooth playback makes editing 100x less painful.

I mention these things because if they're important to you, realise FCP lacks in these areas.
    I think FCP is better laid out and more intuitive to learn, but once I learnt the basics in Premiere I've been perfectly happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    Personally I use CS5 and these are my favourite things about it..
    1. Photoshop (and other CS) integration. I love that I can import photoshop layers and handle them in the same way Photoshop would.
    I very much like this too.

2. Ability to mix framerates/formats/resolutions in one timeline. I never have to worry, whereas FCP makes it trickier.
    FCP can do this too. The current versions need you to render, the FCP X will be out in June and it's looks like it's going to perform better than CS5 on this front.

3. GPU accelerated effects/playback engine. With CS5 and my old processor, adding hefty effects won't lag me down.. smooth playback makes editing 100x less painful.
    Realise that the GPU acceleration is only relevant to accelerated effects, not general playback as such - AND it only works with nVidia / CUDA graphics cards - which are not available on most Macs.

I mention these things because if they're important to you, realise FCP lacks in these areas.
    I think FCP is better laid out and more intuitive to learn, but once I learnt the basics in Premiere I've been perfectly happy with it.
    FCP X can also use the ATI graphics and not just nVidia graphics, so on a Mac FCP X is likely to out perform CS5 massively (because they are almost always ATI cards in a Mac).

If FCP X is as good as it looks I will almost certainly drop CS5 for editing completely. It's got some nasty bugs that I keep hitting. It's got some serious memory leaks which means I have to restart a couple of times a day during heavy editing sessions. It's also got a nasty habit of deleting source files without warning and I have to grab them from backups and replace them in the project. Arrgghh!!!

Check out the FCP X demos. Watch the Full Length Final Cut Pro X Presentation

True regarding the GPU effects.. having said that, my playback performance even on an average GPU did greatly improved once I upgraded from CS4 to CS5. It definitely feels more efficient with or without powerful hardware (64-bit probably helped). Although it does seem as though FCPX will still need a healthy amount of power
    If the ability to mix sources with FCPX improves, I'm sure I'll be much more drawn to it.

I'm not bad mouthing FCP, I know it's a great tool. I'd say definitely get the new version if you go down that route, FCP7 seems quite behind the times at the moment.
    For the moment though, until I have to learn Avid... FCP doesn't have anything to offer me that I can't achieve in my CS5 workflow... so the cost (of a good Mac) doesn't seem justified.

Oh and I looked at the keynote... I had to turn it off I'm afraid. Everytime there was a 'yeaaah man!' and a cheer when the speaker did something pretty ordinary on screen it made me want to pull my eyes out... sorry haha.
    Last edited by benesotor; 04-14-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast