Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor picture quality from Imovie 11

Default Poor picture quality from Imovie 11

Hi all

I have recently got myself an Iphone 4 and have been using it to film some trips. Whilst its never going to match the performance of a dedicated machine its simplicity of use and the fact that I always have it with me makes it very attractive to use. I have also splashed out on an Owle mount to make it more steady to use.

When I view the HD clips on my Imac they look great, however when I then edit them into a movie using Imovie 11 the image quality is poor. There is lots of visible banding in dark areas which is just not present in the original. I have seen some posts in other places where people say that this is a recognised flaw in Imovie 11.

I have always been a windows user in the past however I have now crossed the tracks and got myself a new Imac.

My question is can I improve the output of Imovie 11 by choosing other settings. I have tried to but not improved matters, and if not which editor is the one to pursue?

Ahhh ! can it really be. I don't know anything about Apple products but nice to see your still alive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ahhh ! can it really be. I don't know anything about Apple products but nice to see your still alive.
    He may be alive, but it looks like he's gone over to the white side.
    Good to hear from you Shrimpy.
    Tim

I was shocked by the Imac and how good you tube looks compared to my laptop ( windows vista where the playback on HD is pixely). I used some footage taken off a zoom camera ( .MOV) and edited in FCP to find I couldn't get the quality any better. Can't really say much about the iMovie as I have not yet used it however one guy who lecturers at college says its good. good thing about apple is you can move clips from iMovie to Final Cut Pro then to Motion then back again..

. Final Cut Express 4 is very much like the Final Cut pro but with less stuff. Edits the same way though. I am happy with FC Express but am borrowing Final Cut Studio until I can afford to buy it for real.

5. Default

To the OP...not sure what you have for your share/export settings...I'm on a Mac OSX 10.6.6 with iMovie 11...I use a Panasonic ZS3, Playsport, & Canon 550D/T2i...I have not experienced any degrade in import/export when rendering clips...? Import your footage at the same quality it was shot in...( do not lessen resolution ) export at default settings either 720/1080P...Should look virtually identical...Actually exports a bit better than shown in preview mode in iMovie.... I have heard of no "recognized flaw" with iMovie content..
    Last edited by codda; 02-16-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks for the replies. It's a mystery, I have been importing at full resolution and I have tried both the standard export settings and tried to enhance the settings but I still get the banding in dark areas of the picture. This afternoon I edited some new clips on my old MacBook Pro as I am on a trip, the footage was not particularly dark however there was no evidence of banding at all like there is using the IMac. I don't have access to the original problem clips here, but when I get home I am going to use them on the MacBook Pro and check the result. It's a long shot but a quick test will show if there is any difference between the rendered results. Does the make of graphics card have anything to do with the rendering process results I wonder ?

7. Default

There should be no difference whatsoever...try importing a generic clip you have not produced...see if the problem still exists...maybe the problem is with Quicktime playback,GPU,....but I doubt iMovie itself...

Have you tried to see if there are any updates fro the iMovie 11? I know when I brought our iMAC just before xmas, I installed the i life and it quickly went on and downloaded a Gbs of stuff..

Yes all updates have been applied. I am back home now so I can carry out some tests. One mistake I have been making is that I have not bothered to Finalise my movie before exporting it. So that's my first thing to try. I will update later with my findings. There does seem to be quite a bit of discussion on the net about this issue however. The other thing that may have made matters worse is that I had ticked the box Optimize video, other places have said that only results in your material being re encoded so I will leave that unchecked and import again from the Iphone.

10. Default

The other thing to consider would be your source...if your clips are from an iphone...even though it is technically HD you have to be realistic about the final quality considering the limited specs of the phone itself...sensor,lens,etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast