Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capture Device

Default Capture Device

Prior to purchasing Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, I was using Pinnacle Studio 14. I own the Pinnacle 710USB. It has worked well in the past...kind of. As long as I had the import in the foreground it worked to capture vhs tapes. However, if I had it run in the background, the video would freeze. That is beside the point now. My question is this. Vegas claims that the 710USB is not plugged in. Has anyone at all had this issue. I have done a couple of google searches with limited help. Ideally, I would like to get this device working with Movie Studio. Second place would be a reasonably priced usb or firewire device that works seamlessly with vegas.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm trying to untangle your post.

Had you been capturing VHS tapes? If not say what you are doing. If YES then read on.

VHS tapes are in an Analogue format. Capturing them INTO a PC they need to go through an ANALOGUE to DIGITAL conversion. If you are doing this then read on. If you AREN'T doing this then state what you ARE doing.

If you are using a conversion process then the way that VEGAS captures that converted stream is ONLY by FireWire. If you aren't using f/w then say what you are using. If you ARE using f/w then read on.

Once you are inside the VEGAS video capture tool make sure Digital control is unchecked and scene detection is unchecked. Now, what you have to do, AS you have removed all digital control and scene detect, is to PLAY your media, have it rolling and then hit the CAPTURE BUTTON.

Recap: VEGAS will capture a AV>DV converted stream and does this via FireWire.

Last edited by Grazie; 02-14-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Yes, I am using an analog to digital capture device made by Pinnacle (avid). It's Part number is Pinnacle 710 USB. This device still works in Pinnacle Studio 14, therefore, I do not believe it is a Windows 7 or a driver problem. However, when trying to use the device with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10, as soon as I open the capture tool, vegas tells "The Device 'Pinnacle 710-USB could not be opened. Please make sure the device is turned on and is not in use by another application." It is connected via USB. That is my only option with this box. It does have a firewire port on it, but that is for connecting an external camera to.

I guess my main question is this: What is the best analog to digital capture device that works with Vegas for the least amount of money?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneMan View Post
    It does have a firewire port on it, but that is for connecting an external camera to.…I guess my main question is this: What is the best analog to digital capture device that works with Vegas for the least amount of money?
    Well, try this IF you have a FireWire port on your pc - connect that box to it! Forget, forego the USB, I've never liked the idea of capturing a Dv stream via a packet serving process like USB, don't seem natural to me!!!

OK, if this IS your box:-

Pinnacle Systems, pioneer in consumer solutions for video transfer, capture, video editing, TV for PC and Mac

… and then reading further the spec, what you already have IS a DV out. Is that true? If so, then as long as the DV is truly following the DV spec, then setting up the Vegas capture in the way I described, you SHOULD be getting a flowing DV stream into your pc, via a firewire port. No promises, but I would be focussing my attention on the fact that you already have that AV>DV option.

All you need to do is regard that your pc IS that firewire camera and a FireWire cable!

Interesting…

Hah!!! There you are, and quoting spec:-

Inputs and Outputs:
    Composite video input/output (RCA connector) PAL, SECAM (input only), NTSC
    S-Video input/output (mini-DIN connector) PAL, SECAM (input only), NTSC
    Stereo audio input/output (2 x RCA connectors)
    IEEE 1394 In/Out connector (6-pin type) _Analog Video Capture to Computer

Read that last line?

Looking good?

Once in the Vegas capture tool, that box SHOULD be recognised. Do you have a FireWire option on your pc? If not a fw card is relatively inexpensive and give further options too. And what I'm also saying is hold off purchasing a further AV<>DV convertor box until you have rigorously researched and further explored your exsisting kit.

Last edited by Grazie; 02-15-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Off on a related tangent, BlackMagic Design now do a capture device which works with USB 3.0 (and specifically H55 & X58 chipsets, from memory - dunno where that leaves my board with a P67 chipset) I suspect USB might now be capable of capturing although it's a bit late for the marke apart from archive analogue stuff.

Blackmagic Design: Intensity

Tim

No response. No reply. I spent quite a bit of time on researching and forming more than one response.

I don't expect flowers or Cadburys Milk Tray, but a simple Yes or No would suffice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    No response. No reply. I spent quite a bit of time on researching and forming more than one response.

I don't expect flowers or Cadburys Milk Tray, but a simple Yes or No would suffice.

Indeed. That's forums for you.

But your research is here for posterity and maybe one day someone with a similar query will really appreciate it.
    Tim

I apologize for not replying yet. I am currently waiting on a 6pin to 6pin firewire cable to arrive. I don't even have a radioshack here. I do appreciate all of your information and your research.

Understood. Let's see if that gives you a solution. After all, a cable is a cheaper experimental option than investing in another device that you may not need. You have a FireWire option on your pc? Do you use FireWire for anything else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast