Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recurring Fault in Movie Studio 10 in trial version and purchased media.

Default Recurring Fault in Movie Studio 10 in trial version and purchased media.

When I had the free trial version of Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 it developed a fault that I thought was a 'bug' in the programme. I reported it to Sony who gave 2 different ways of correcting it but by then I had bought the programme and started with completely new material so that there was no fear of bringing the problem into the new programme. I am now 3 weeks into using it and today the fault has now cropped up again. I just want to cry.
    When I try to open my file it says it cannot find it and I have to change from 'Media Files' to 'All Files' and go to the folder and click on the file I want to open. Only then will it open.

When it does open it says 'an error occurred while loading the project and some streams in the media could not be opened'. When I click on details, I get the message,' A nested project source file was not found' then it gives the path and file name of my project. At the same time the Pan/crop tool freezes the programme.

I have reset all the preferences but that has not worked. It looks as if I will have to do a clean uninstall. Has anyone else come across this problem? And if so how did you fix it?

Have you moved or deleted any files ? Is your operating system in full working order ? If the same thing has happend with to different versions of the program it could be a problem other than Vegas.

Just a thought.

Thank you for your reply.

I have considered all you said but remain convinced the problem is with Movie Studio.

1. Have not deleted anything recently - like last night when I last worked on it and it was OK.(I even checked the recycle bin to make sure).

2. As far as I am aware the operating system is up to date and working properly as I have not had problems with anything else.

3. Why should it occur with two different programmes? When I installed the new (bought) version, I just went into control panel and removed the free trial. It is possible it has left something in the registry and the second reply I received from Sony was to go into the registry and delete some files. However, this is something I want to avoid if at all possible.
    But, on the other hand why should it take three weeks to show up?

To do a clean uninstall/reinstall you lose your video & audio chain presets (sounds painful).
    I have included, below, a copy of the reply from Sony regarding the clean uninstall.

I am at a loss and really depressed after having done so much work on this project, firstly in WMM, and then starting again with MS.

PegMac.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pan/Crop Problem Solution (2)
    Clean Uninstall and Reinstall Instructions for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 users (32 Bit Editions)

Question
    I really think I need to perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of my SCS applications. How do I go about doing this?

Answer
    (If you are running a Windows Vista or Windows 7 64 Bit Edition operating system, Click Here.)
    Before doing a Clean Reinstall, it is important to do the following:
    • All audio and video effects chains and presets will be erased, so if you need to make a back up of your presets please download our Preset Manager program. For more information about backing up presets: Backup and Restore Audio Presets | Backup and Restore Video Presets

• Safely disconnect any external USB or Firewire devices like hard-drives or dongles.

• Temporarily turn off ALL anti-virus programs, as well as disabling any Registry Blockers, Spy Ware, Firewalls, etc. These applications have been known to interfere with software installation and registration.

Start the process of removing programs go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (in Windows XP, open Add or Remove Programs) - find and remove your Sony Creative Software applications (ACID, Sound Forge, Vegas, DVD Architect, Cinescore, CD Architect or Media Manager, as well as any other Sony Media Software or Sony Creative Software programs).
    Also, remove the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SONY_MEDIAMGR), any and all Microsoft .NET Framework versions, and the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable software if it is listed.
    Once un-installed, delete the following folders:
    • C:\Program Files\Sony\
    (Do not delete this entire folder if you have other Sony applications installed such as Sonic Stage, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, etc. If that is the case then only delete the folder for the Sony Media Software application you are using as well as the Shared Plug-Ins folder.)

• C:\Program Files\Sony Setup
    WARNING: The next step will require you to delete Windows Registry Keys. The Registry is a very sensitive area to work in. If you are not comfortable with advanced configuration and system changes, ask an administrator to help you with this. (Related Topics: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP)
    Next, open the Registry Editor. Select Start and type REGEDIT in the 'Start Search' box. (For Windows XP users, go to Start > Run ... type REGEDIT and press 'OK')
    In the Registry Editor, locate and delete the following registry entries:
    (Depending on which versions you have installed you may see one or more of these entries. If you do not see all of these, that is normal. Delete those which you do find.)
    If you locate a folder labelled "Sonic" please DO NOT confuse this with Sonic Foundry. Leave it alone.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic Foundry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Media Software
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic Foundry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Media Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software
    Close the Registry Editor.
    After removing all of the previous items, you may download and re-install from this link -
    Sony Creative Software - Download: Updates
    When finished with all reinstallation, please restart your computer. When your computer has restarted, you will have a complete clean installation.

Blog Entries

Very sorry to hear you've got the problem back. It really does sound like a bug to me, VMS doesn't support nested projects and whilst both that an Vegas Pro obviously share much of the same code, the program should never get to a point where it's even considering nested projects (even if the reason it got there is because you're passing it dodgy files).

I think this may be a case of go back to Sony, but I strongly suspect they will insist you do a clean unistalll/reinstall as you didn't do this last time.

If you haven't got any audio or video chain presets, then this process is really not as daunting as it first appears. If you have a few presets (ie chains of fx that you have saved) it's probably quicker to make notes of them. If you really have a lot, then you can download the free "Preset Manager", but I found this particularly clunky and gave up (I only had a few presets at the time so it was practical to write them down).
    Tim

Default Continuing problem with pan/crop tool in MS

Thank you very much for your advice.

Having read it I am beginning to think that, what I thought were audio chain presets, are not what I, at first, thought.

But, before I say something really stupid, can you please explain briefly what they are.

On second thoughts I may as well tell you what I thought - I thought they meant you would lose all the audio you had placed on the timeline and/or the audio in your imported media. But that's not what is meant is is?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. If we had natural gas it would be head in the oven time but, being an island we only have electricity and it doesn't have the same effect!!!

PegMac
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very sorry to hear you've got the problem back. It really does sound like a bug to me, VMS doesn't support nested projects and whilst both that an Vegas Pro obviously share much of the same code, the program should never get to a point where it's even considering nested projects (even if the reason it got there is because you're passing it dodgy files).

I think this may be a case of go back to Sony, but I strongly suspect they will insist you do a clean unistalll/reinstall as you didn't do this last time.

If you haven't got any audio or video chain presets, then this process is really not as daunting as it first appears. If you have a few presets (ie chains of fx that you have saved) it's probably quicker to make notes of them. If you really have a lot, then you can download the free "Preset Manager", but I found this particularly clunky and gave up (I only had a few presets at the time so it was practical to write them down).

Blog Entries

Fear not. Those presets are collections of FX that you have used and decide to save (so you can reuse them in other projects). If you didn't know what they are, you haven't created any so don't worry about them.
    Tim

I like your reply - if you don't know what it is then you haven't created it. Sounds reasonable to me!!!
    Sorry to ask another question, but what is an FX?

Peg.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Fear not. Those presets are collections of FX that you have used and decide to save (so you can reuse them in other projects). If you didn't know what they are, you haven't created any so don't worry about them.

FX is an abbreviation for effect it's the items on the Video FX tab.

Default The unthinkable has happened!!

I plucked up the courage and proceeded with the clean uninstall following the instructions to the letter. I HAVE NOT DELETED ANYTHING FROM THE REGISTRY that it didn't instruct in the reply.

But my delight at seeing my computer still working after restarting soon turned to a sick feeling when I discovered the DVD drive won't open and is not recognised by the computer. I will now have to pay the computer repair man to come and fix it. I am just sick and very angry.

I am almost certain it has something to do with the Microsoft files that were to be deleted but I am no expert so will have to wait until Monday.

Boy, could I gladly wring some Sony person's neck right now?

That's it - rant over!!

PegMac
    Quote Originally Posted by PegMac View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

I have considered all you said but remain convinced the problem is with Movie Studio.

1. Have not deleted anything recently - like last night when I last worked on it and it was OK.(I even checked the recycle bin to make sure).

2. As far as I am aware the operating system is up to date and working properly as I have not had problems with anything else.

3. Why should it occur with two different programmes? When I installed the new (bought) version, I just went into control panel and removed the free trial. It is possible it has left something in the registry and the second reply I received from Sony was to go into the registry and delete some files. However, this is something I want to avoid if at all possible.
    But, on the other hand why should it take three weeks to show up?

To do a clean uninstall/reinstall you lose your video & audio chain presets (sounds painful).
    I have included, below, a copy of the reply from Sony regarding the clean uninstall.

I am at a loss and really depressed after having done so much work on this project, firstly in WMM, and then starting again with MS.

PegMac.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pan/Crop Problem Solution (2)
    Clean Uninstall and Reinstall Instructions for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 users (32 Bit Editions)

Question
    I really think I need to perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of my SCS applications. How do I go about doing this?

Answer
    (If you are running a Windows Vista or Windows 7 64 Bit Edition operating system, Click Here.)
    Before doing a Clean Reinstall, it is important to do the following:
    All audio and video effects chains and presets will be erased, so if you need to make a back up of your presets please download our Preset Manager program. For more information about backing up presets: Backup and Restore Audio Presets | Backup and Restore Video Presets

Safely disconnect any external USB or Firewire devices like hard-drives or dongles.

Temporarily turn off ALL anti-virus programs, as well as disabling any Registry Blockers, Spy Ware, Firewalls, etc. These applications have been known to interfere with software installation and registration.

Start the process of removing programs go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (in Windows XP, open Add or Remove Programs) - find and remove your Sony Creative Software applications (ACID, Sound Forge, Vegas, DVD Architect, Cinescore, CD Architect or Media Manager, as well as any other Sony Media Software or Sony Creative Software programs).
    Also, remove the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SONY_MEDIAMGR), any and all Microsoft .NET Framework versions, and the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable software if it is listed.
    Once un-installed, delete the following folders:
    C:\Program Files\Sony\
    (Do not delete this entire folder if you have other Sony applications installed such as Sonic Stage, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, etc. If that is the case then only delete the folder for the Sony Media Software application you are using as well as the Shared Plug-Ins folder.)

C:\Program Files\Sony Setup
    WARNING: The next step will require you to delete Windows Registry Keys. The Registry is a very sensitive area to work in. If you are not comfortable with advanced configuration and system changes, ask an administrator to help you with this. (Related Topics: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP)
    Next, open the Registry Editor. Select Start and type REGEDIT in the 'Start Search' box. (For Windows XP users, go to Start > Run ... type REGEDIT and press 'OK')
    In the Registry Editor, locate and delete the following registry entries:
    (Depending on which versions you have installed you may see one or more of these entries. If you do not see all of these, that is normal. Delete those which you do find.)
    If you locate a folder labelled "Sonic" please DO NOT confuse this with Sonic Foundry. Leave it alone.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic Foundry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Media Software
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic Foundry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Media Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software
    Close the Registry Editor.
    After removing all of the previous items, you may download and re-install from this link -
    Sony Creative Software - Download: Updates
    When finished with all reinstallation, please restart your computer. When your computer has restarted, you will have a complete clean installation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PegMac View Post
    But my delight at seeing my computer still working after restarting soon turned to a sick feeling when I discovered the DVD drive won't open and is not recognised by the computer. I will now have to pay the computer repair man to come and fix it. I am just sick and very angry.

I am almost certain it has something to do with the Microsoft files that were to be deleted but I am no expert so will have to wait until Monday.
    Now you've got me feeling all guilty having persuaded you to have a go

Deleting the registry keys above will not have ahd any effect on recognising your DVD. It is just possible, but very unlikely, that if you deleted other keys that mention "Sonic" (as warned against in Sony's email) that this might have had some effect - Sonic software is used in some systems for writing to CDs DVDs as if they are hard disks - that this may result in the DVD drive not being recognised.

When you say it won't open, do you mean even pressing the eject button o the DVD drive won't open it? Can you hear it click and whirr? It is just possible your DVD drive has become disconnected or has developed a fault. This would be a remarkable coincidence, but it's surprising how often coincidences happen.

One thing you can do to prove it's no the cahnages you have made is to roll bac the system to how it was before you made the changes using System Restore.

What is System Restore?
    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

This will basically set your registry (and some other stuff) back to how it was at the date you select from "Available Restore Points"

Try that. If the DVD drive works - you know the problem was caused by one of the changes made by you or Windows since. If it doesn't - it's probably ahardware issue (and may only be a loose cable)

Another thing you could try is goinginto device manager (Right-click my computer, select Manage, then highlight "Device Manager" in the left Window. See if your DVD drive is listed in the right window. If it is, righ click on it and select uninstall. Then reboot, this will force windows to re-install the DVD drive (if it recogises it at all) and may fix your problem.

If your DVD drive is not listed then it is either faulty or disconnected.

Good luck.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast