Thread: 8mm Film to digital

Default 8mm Film to digital

Hi everyone

Recently been asked my girlfriends Granddad if it is possible to get his old 8mm film to DVD's. He has around 30+ tapes all around 1 / 2 mins long and about 40 years old! Currently using ancient projector to set up and watch them. But I would like to transfer them to DVD and edit them into one clip or several clips with categories.

Issue is...what hardware / software will I need to purchase to do this?

There is a company locally that will transfer each tape to digital for 5 per tape, then edit them at 20 per work hour.

Is this a good rate? (Ignore editing I can do that myself)

Thanks a lot for any help it will be greatly appreciated.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Quick scout on ebay chucked this up - CINE CONVERTER - but how good is it? I wouldn't think very.

150 to have them do it against fifty to have a go yourself.... I'd have a stab to be honest. A friend of mine had one of these companies do one for him recently an the results weren't exactly sparkling.

EDIT - Just re-read the item description - unless you have a video input to your pc or a camera that'll take an analogue input and act as a pass through, or a converter - you will need extra equipment too.

Analoge / Digital converters that are any good start around a hundred quid. Cheaper stuff is out there, but again - quality wise I wouldn't like to hazard a guess.

EDIT AGAIN. A great converter (I used to have one) is THIS - and of course once you have it, you can go into competition with the fella down the road.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 02-12-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Some companies just project the film on a screen, then set up a digital camcorder on a tripod and record the projection. If that's no good to you make sure they are clear on how they do it, you could even give it a go yourself and see if the quality is sufficient for your purpose.

London, England

projecting it and reshooting isn't be what "Cine-Transfer" means to me!
    (er, so check it out as suggested!).
    My suggestion is to reel them onto a larger reel, so you get a single transfer, rather than several. However, these are irreplacable...don't let 'em out of yr sight!

Alternatively, try several local Cine/Video clubs - they will know "how" to do this and might welcome showing an edited "cut" of the gentleman's films. A promise of a "donation" to club-funds does wonders.