Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make voice louder in Sony Vegas?

1. Default How to make voice louder in Sony Vegas?

Hi all!
    I have a video which I want to edit in Sony Vegas and upload to Youtube. The problem is that the voice in the audotrack is too low comparing to other sounds (effects, music). Strangely it's played ok in KMPlayer, but when I upload a fragment of the video to Youtube, or play it in other players, the voice is still very low.

Audio is DTS, 6 ch, 768 kbit, and I converted it to WAV, MP3 and MP4 using WAV-to-Mp3 Converter to import into Vegas. None of the formats used for conversion has changed anything - the voice is still lower in each of them.

How can I fix this problem in Vegas? Any advice is appreciated.

PS: watched the video again, and it appears that in this particular fragment it is not that the voice is too low comparatively to other sounds, but the sounds are to loud comparatively to the voice. Voice is at its normal level, if it changes anything.
    Last edited by NikolaiV; 02-12-2011 at 09:16 AM.

This question comes up time and time again. In essence you are asking for the eggs to be removed from an omelette, have them put back in their shells and reinserted into the chicken.

Unless you have some truly forensic type of audio s/w then you are reduced to isolating the frequencies you want reduced and honing in on just those.

If you ARE using VP then you will have several frequency redux tools at your disposal. The trouble with any of this approach is often the voice you wish to emphaise is just so close to the ones you wish to make quieter, you end up getting audio artefacts.
    I've used the VP toolset and now have moved along to IZOTOPE RXII. ultimately, unless the unwanted sound is distinctly different from that if the target audio, getting the eggs back out of an omelette start becoming an appealing task.

Last edited by Grazie; 02-12-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiV View Post
    ..Audio is DTS, 6 ch, 768 kbit, and I converted it to WAV, MP3 and MP4 using WAV-to-Mp3 Converter to import into Vegas..
    If any one of those 6 channels is soley voice - there may be a chance... Have you tried simply importing the 6ch direct into Vegas? If you have your project properties set to Dolby 5.1 for audio you should be able to control each individual channels... and IF one of those channels is voice only, perhaps lowering of the other track levels may give a result worth using...

Well, an audio dunce here, but I had this problem recently and just duplicated the track and pasted it in the track below, then reversed the channels! It was pretty much all voice though...

Ian
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Well, an audio dunce here, but I had this problem recently and just duplicated the track and pasted it in the track below, then reversed the channels! It was pretty much all voice though...
    Yep, reversing the polarity of one channel has the effect of cancelling out anything panned left or right in the stereo image - that's to say anything in mono is left intact.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Ian
    I started using Vegas only two days ago, and from all you said I know only how to duplicate tracks. Could you please explain how I can "reverse channels"? Should I go to Edit --> Channels, and do something there? I apologize for being boring, but I'm a complete novice.

If I remember correctly, I right clicked on the track, selected 'Channels' and chose from the list of options. Can't check right now, as I'm on the wrong PC!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I've used the VP toolset and now have moved along to IZOTOPE RXII. ultimately, unless the unwanted sound is distinctly different from that if the target audio, getting the eggs back out of an omelette start becoming an appealing task.
    That is a great program! It will certainly help me to solve the problem, as soon as I figure out how it works.
    Thanks a lot.

I used Sony Vegas 7 and if i need to make the voice louder, I will use different audio software. In Vegas, click Option tab, choose Preference, and then select Audio. You can see Prefered Audio Editor, so you link the audio software (the one with the ******.exe). So next, time, if you need to increase the wave form, right click the vegas waveform, then choose Open Copy In Audio Editor. The waveform will automatically transferred to the audio software, and you can do whatever need to be done. After you save, the audio will automatically changes in Vegas software without affecting the video. BUT, you need to save the sample rate same as the video, or else, it will not synchronise. Eg, if your video has 44,100 Hz, save as 44,100 as well. If its 48,000, save it as 48,000. I did this many times already and it never failed me. Good Luck

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by infoplanet View Post
    I used Sony Vegas 7 and if i need to make the voice louder, I will use different audio software. In Vegas, click Option tab, choose Preference, and then select Audio. You can see Prefered Audio Editor, so you link the audio software (the one with the ******.exe). So next, time, if you need to increase the wave form, right click the vegas waveform, then choose Open Copy In Audio Editor. The waveform will automatically transferred to the audio software, and you can do whatever need to be done. After you save, the audio will automatically changes in Vegas software without affecting the video. BUT, you need to save the sample rate same as the video, or else, it will not synchronise. Eg, if your video has 44,100 Hz, save as 44,100 as well. If its 48,000, save it as 48,000. I did this many times already and it never failed me. Good Luck
    Thank you for step-by-step guide.
    I've just downloaded a trial version of Adobe Audition 3, which is more comprehensive and useful than Izotope (maybe I'm wrong about that, but at least for Audition there is a lot more instruction material on the web, so it is easier to learn), so I will try to link it to Vegas as you recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast