Thread: Second video attempt based on feedback

Default Second video attempt based on feedback

Ok ta for the pointers. I have tried to implement some of the advise on my second video. That said everyone was too cold and knackered to add any footage to bring the narrative to a close!

Well Mike, I think that's better than your first video. I appreciate the effort you have put into it. A few things in this one. The camera handling noise towards the end was distracting. I didn't feel as though the Picture in picture really added anything especially the first one where the small image was the same as the big one. The thing that will give your videos a boost is the intersperse the on board shots with the on land shots.

Example:
    Shot one, long shot from the land.
    Shot two, on board cam.
    Shot three, long shot from the land as though it's the same board we just moved from.
    Shot four, on board but somehow different to the other on board shots.

This is the real art of editing, learning to put your footage together in a pleasing way.

Hope this helps.

aha...actually the PIPs were all different runs........that obviously did not work!....you see, I was trying to deal with the repitition aspect by combining similar footage ( but they are all actually separate runs) in the same frames rather than sequencially. I like your pointer about interspersing the onshore and onboard footage. Things will get slightly easier from the actual shooting point of view when conditions are somewhat warmer , the light better and conditions not so wild. I have the option of helmet mount, boom mount and ( a DIY trial...mast mount) and on a calmer day would have chance to use all 3. I also plan to use the boom mount facing backwards towards a mate with another Go Pro helmet mounted. The early footage on this video was a mate's 5 year old consumer JVC cam; used to experiment ony really, and I am sufficiently enthused now to get my own, more up to date cam for the onshore elements. Although I am having some problems finding something at a reasonable price that can hold a candle to the Go Pros HD quality and that only cost me 170, is completely water proof and gets a real battering! Still, I am encouraged by your comment that this was better than the first so I am getting somewhere! I appreciate your advice......and implement it! p.s. one thing I have noticed is that my footage ( and others I have seen) really fails to show just how rough and violent the water was that day. It seems to smooth it all out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    you see, I was trying to deal with the repitition aspect by combining similar footage ( but they are all actually separate runs) in the same frames rather than sequencially.
    Ahhh, you've identified one of the problems that many of us experience when first setting out in film making. You're thinking like a cameraman (I've got three great shots of such and such) rather than and editor/director (will a shot of this add to the film, if yes, how many versions do I have and which is the best one?)

In other words, does it enhance the video to show each of the separate runs? If not select the the best - or even cheat and combine the best (as in most watchable, not necessarily most skillfully executed) bits of each into one (with cutaways hiding the cuts)

The exception is if your intended audience is the participans who wish to see and analyse each run - but that's a different video.
    Tim

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ahhh, you've identified one of the problems that many of us experience when first setting out in film making. You're thinking like a cameraman (I've got three great shots of such and such) rather than and editor/director (will a shot of this add to the film, if yes, how many versions do I have and which is the best one?)

In other words, does it enhance the video to show each of the separate runs? If not select the the best - or even cheat and combine the best (as in most watchable, not necessarily most skillfully executed) bits of each into one (with cutaways hiding the cuts)

The exception is if your intended audience is the participans who wish to see and analyse each run - but that's a different video.
    Well you have hit on another weakness which is concerned with not being very specific about the objectives and audience of any specific video. I readilly admit that currently they are really acting as a vehicle to learn vegas and ( via this forum and friends) I am trying to pick up some production/composition guidance along the way. all you say points to collecting a library of clips over time which can then be compiled into a more watchable video. I am not sure it will be feasible to folow all these guidelines in terms of a single day on the water...so be it! thanks