Thread: Loss of transferred image quality - but via firewire

Default Loss of transferred image quality - but via firewire

Hi. Although I have been using a camcorder for a while, I'm new to the world of editing and use. I recently decided to transfer the many hours of footage of the children growing up from dv cassette to disc, via Windows movie maker, as I don't have any other software at the moment. All of the footage was taken on a Sharp Viewcam VL-Z1, which I've had for several years.

I accepted the default options for transfer in Movie Maker and the first cassette transfered fine. As my old PC doesn't have a writable DVD drive, I used Nero to burn a short sample to CD, to try to play on the TV from our DVD player. It seemed quite dark so I hooked up the camcorder and played the same section at approximately the same time on the TV, switching between channels. There is clearly a loss of quality in the transferred footage.

The question is - where did this happen? I used firewire so I don't think it's a usb transfer rate problem. Could it be in the option I used in Movie Maker? As I said, I used the defaults (AVI, I think). Or is it because I used a CD?

I'd be grateful for any help or advice anyone can offer.

Many thanks.

Jim

Blog Entries

There's a couple of conflicting issues here I think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpuser View Post
    ..I used firewire so I don't think it's a usb transfer rate problem..
    Firewire and USB are two completely different things... which did you use?

Second -
    I used Nero to burn a short sample to CD, to try to play on the TV from our DVD player..
    A CD will not have taken DVD compatible files (mpeg2) - so what settings did you render out at and put on your CD?

Incidentally - external DVD burners are so cheap these days - I'd advise you go get one and get away from CD's.

Andy,

Thanks for responding. To clarify:

1. I realise that how I phrased it, it looks confusing. I transferred the film by firewire - no USB involved. The comment on USB was because I'd read about the problems people have had when trying to use USB and I intended to show that I had ruled that out. Sorry for confusing the issue.

2. Some Settings details.
    In the orignal transfer, I chose the default, as I said. "Best quality playback on my computer (recommended)". The settings were:

File type Windows Media Mobile (wmv).
    Bit rate 2.1 Mbps
    Display size 640 x 480 pixels
    Frames/second 30

In burning to CD, I used Nero Express 6; video - Video CD. I've been back to it to check. When you start it up, you get the following info. box:

"Your video files will be automatically converted to VCD compliant MPEG-1 files during the process."

Does this help? In particular, does the last bit - MPEG1 - give a clue to the problem?

Regards

Jim

Blog Entries

..Does this help? In particular, does the last bit - MPEG1 - give a clue to the problem?...
    Yes - First off - rather than capturing as WMV - look for an option like AVI - much larger file sizes but easier to edit... and preserves original quality (Windows Media is highly compressed which explains why your footage looks kak).

The output of MPEG1 also won't be any good for a DVD (If that's your ultimate aim).

DVD's require MPEG 2 files - plus of course an authoring program and a burner .

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Yes - First off - rather than capturing as WMV - look for an option like AVI - much larger file sizes but easier to edit... and preserves original quality (Windows Media is highly compressed which explains why your footage looks kak).

The output of MPEG1 also won't be any good for a DVD (If that's your ultimate aim).

DVD's require MPEG 2 files - plus of course an authoring program and a burner .

Many thanks. I'll have another go - this time with AVI - and see if that helps.