Thread: Amazing Swim Video

Default Amazing Swim Video

I filmed this over the summer and finally finished editing this. I am new btw (:

Blog Entries

There are some very nice looking shots - you've managed to get a variety of angles - and you've edited it well but when it comes down to it, I'm afraid 11 minutes of guys jumping into water just doesn't make great viewing for anyone other than the guys.

You've put some "non jumping" shots in the video and this adds variety - we could do with more of that. We could also do with a greater variety of types of shot. A good 95% are wide to very wide shots, get some close ups so we can see the concentration, trepidation, reactions etc. Let's see som hands gripping the bridge/whatever before jumping, some feet taking off etc. Sure you'll not get the whole jump in, but you've got dozens of jumps.

Try to get some sort of narrative to it - it needn't be complex, start with the guys arriving somewhere, looking at the site, pointing out features to each other, then the action, then climbing out and back into car (and then maybe travelling and repeating). Also show some road signs or something to show where you are.

In other words do more of what you're done at the very beginning and also briefly throughout.

All of this would help make a bit more fo a film out of something which is currently just a lot of fairly samey (albeit good) shots.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 02-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Tim

I think if you follow the advice that Tim has given you, you will make a more interesting video. I very rarely bail from viewing a video but this one beat even me. Like Tim said you have some nice shots it would be a shame not to show them off to there fullest potential. Also make the video shorter. I would split what you have into 3 or 4 videos.

4. Default

Very nice filming and editing there. In this case, this video is perfect for you guys who did the trip, it means something to you. To us, we lose concentration as it is too long.

It is probably the hardest part about making a good film, keeping the audiences attention. I put as much effort into my family home videos, as I do my corporate ones, but I would not put them all on here as they would bore you to tears, no matter how well they were shot and edited!

Maybe for us, make it about 3-4 mins. My rule of thumb is 'leave them wanting more'!

What camera did you use by the way? Some seriously nice shots in there mate.

it's a bit too long
    but the footage that you've got is good, you could really make something out of it

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    There are some very nice looking shots - you've managed to get a variety of angles - and you've edited it well but when it comes down to it, I'm afraid 11 minutes of guys jumping into water just doesn't make great viewing for anyone other than the guys.

You've put some "non jumping" shots in the video and this adds variety - we could do with more of that. We could also do with a greater variety of types of shot. A good 95% are wide to very wide shots, get some close ups so we can see the concentration, trepidation, reactions etc. Let's see som hands gripping the bridge/whatever before jumping, some feet taking off etc. Sure you'll not get the whole jump in, but you've got dozens of jumps.

Try to get some sort of narrative to it - it needn't be complex, start with the guys arriving somewhere, looking at the site, pointing out features to each other, then the action, then climbing out and back into car (and then maybe travelling and repeating). Also show some road signs or something to show where you are.

In other words do more of what you're done at the very beginning and also briefly throughout.

All of this would help make a bit more fo a film out of something which is currently just a lot of fairly samey (albeit good) shots.
    Thanks for the some idea's. I will keep everything you said in mind for this summers video. I should have some interesting shots this time around with my new GoPro camera which should add a nice touch the the video.