Thread: Vegas - audio synch problems

Default Vegas - audio synch problems

Hi all - I 've got some video footage of my band from when we were in the studio and a seperate wav file as a result of the recording. I've still got the sound track from the video so was hoping I would be able to just replace the camcorder sound track with the wav file from the recording.

However, I can't quite get the 2 audio lines to synch, iI was hoping I could drag one along until the wave forms were in the same place, but it seems to snap. I don't seem to be able to do anything about it, so the vid is just a fraction of second out.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

I am using Vegas Movie Studio 9.0b and not very experienced with video editing I am afraid.

Thanks for your help.

I don't use vegas, but it sounds like you've got the snap function on, should be pretty easy to disable and then you'll be able to move freely through frames. Try searching for it in help or maybe one of the guys on here who uses vegas can help you but it's probably a very simple solution.

I'e tried using shift to overide the snap as i move it (as per the help), but it is still too 'jumpy', I can't get a smooth drag along the timeline. It feels like it should be somehthing simple, but it is proving to be elusive!

Blog Entries

It's almost certainly not snapping, it's "Quantize to frames".
    In Vegas "snapping" will snap your events to grids, markers or other events.
    Quantize to frames, snaps your event (ie your video clip or audio on the timeline) to frame boundaries - ie every 25th or 30th of a second depending on format (other frame rates are available).
    Go under options and turn off the top entry "Quantize to Frames"

I recommend you move your separate audio, rather than the video, and switch quantize to frames back on when editing (ie cutting and moving) the video. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if shifing all the frames of video by an amount which is not an exact frame, might result in a lengthier render when you come to output.
    Tim

Default That works!

Thansk Tim, works ok now - although still harder than I anticipated to get an exact synch, even being able to drag the audio track smoothly. Maybe I need to use a clapper board or similar next time.

Thanks for your help

Blog Entries

Glad you got it sorted. A clapperboard is good but all you need is a good sharp slap (although I'd advise against this if you're filming a wedding in a church)
    Tim

I believe at 25 frames per second Video, sound will only have travelled about 45 feet in one frame. Does that also mean that the best place to position a clapperboard is where the sound comes from or not where the camera is?