Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calculating the audio tempo to use for a piece of film.

Default Calculating the audio tempo to use for a piece of film.

I have been given a finished piece of video to sync audio to, for my assignment. However, I don't know how to calculate the tempo that my audio should be to make sure my changes are in time with changes in video. If there's any way of working out tempo in comparison to fps, I would be grateful if someone could explain.

Thanks

Oh btw, this is my first post!

Blog Entries

That's a backward workflow! The chances of you dropping on a piece that's not only the correct tempo and musically fitting is slim... even if you could calculate the time signature. Is there no way you can do the visual edit too once you have the music in place that's right for the video?

Unfortunately, I have been disallowed from any video editing. I've been asked to create both a score, and a sound design for a short photo-roman

Blog Entries

Ah - so you're composing a piece to go with the video?

Yes correct, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Basically I have an idea for the music, but there are a few hitpoints where I want changes in music, but I don't know how to work out the tempo of the video. So at the moment I can't keep any music in time with the video.

Blog Entries

It's unlikely that the video has a 'tempo' that you could calculate. Video's aren't usually set so rigidly as music is. Not sure how to help you really.

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting there to be a simple solution! But thanks anyway.

I don't know what software you're using but there are audio editing programs like Pro tools and Apple Soundtrack pro where you can import the video and edit the audio using the videos timecode. I don't know if this helps but I can't see how changing the tempo of the music will fit with the video unless the video is cut to a regular beat.

9. Default

I've been in this situation before. In this case you're going to have to score to the picture frame by frame, there's no real way to calculate the bpm of something that is not music (ie cuts in the picture)

But don't despair.

I would grab a MIDI drum loop and throw it into your project at 120 bpm. Play the video and music together in your DAW and physically look to see if the video cuts match the tempo of the drum loop.

If not, then slow down the tempo of the project to 110 bpm, try again and so on.

I'm guessing at some point you'll find a tempo that more or less hits the cuts. After that, you have to compose frame by frame at moments when you want a musical change to hit the frame.

Just do it by sight. It's hardly rocket science to score to a film while watching it and lay down a guide track from scene to scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast