Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a widescreen (16:9) video from 4:3

1. Default Making a widescreen (16:9) video from 4:3

how do you do it? like, REALLY do it, because when setting the encoding settings, turning it to 1.2 blah blah doesnt seem to do much if anything, because when i open it in divx and hit 16:9 wide aspect, it widens it out to what i'd LIKE it to be.

Also, what do the settings when you click NEW actually do and can it affect anything? For example, if im gonna be editing with 320x240 4:3 video, will making a New project with 720x480 16:9 mess it up in any way shape or form.

Use Tmpegenc. With this programm you should be able to change the resolution. Use avi as output-format.

I hope my English was good enough.

3. Default

Is there another way because my trail has been up for a long time on that program.

Would virtualdub be able to do something like this?

absolutely, yep. either by adding borders or stretching.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

6. Default

well, virtualdub doesnt seem to want to mess with .wmv so it took me hours to try and get a sane sized .avi file with the same quality as the .wmv which I wanted to go with and i still cant get it to work. I dont know what else to do other then to right click on the video and make it widescreen then save as blah blah blah. Any help?

all this converting cant be good can it? My divx uncompressed/compressed (couldnt tell yah) dv avi captures dont open up on Vegas or Premiere just movie maker. So what I do is i bring each clip into movie maker individuall and convert it to the highest quality .wmv I can. (which doesnt look very good because my capture card sucks, definetly doesnt look CLOSE to my TV using S-Video and it records at 720x480, so the 320x240 looks horrid). Now after an entire day of this very fun process, then i edit in vegas with the .wmv. Then I spend another full day encoding hundreds of times until I accidently stumble onto to something acceptable looking, which i've only been able to do by exporting it as .wmv. So im already converting the living hell out of it. So now, if i want to widescreen it with virtualdub, I have to save it as .avi, and so far with every damn codec i've tried i cant get it to look half way decent and when i do, the file size jumps up into the 100MB region and its only a minute long at 320x240. Frustrates the hell out of me. Now i've doen the best I can trying to get it to look good with no more then a 10MB file size at 320x240, and you can see the individual bars making up the picture horizontally. But I've ignored that in light of just trying to be able to widescreen it. Which i havent been able to do. And I want my file to be .wmv, so after I widescreen it with virtualdub, i gotta bring it BACK to vegas and bring it from .avi to .wmv. Now how many conversions is that, like 5 or so, what's that gonna do towards qualityw hen the 720x480 video already looks a smidgin worse then 320x240. But lets focus on the problem, WIDESCREENING! and if i bring my video into vegas after it's been officially brought from 4:3 to 16:9, will it kick it back to 4:3 again?

I Thought the video would look widescreened if i cropped it with the widescreen preset on Vegas but that's not the case, it just stretches it back to 4:3 when i export it.

if you want it to be wmv, you can't do it in virtualdub. there's no need for all this encoding.

you should only ever:

capture

edit

encode

you should never be reencoding from the end encode. always encode from the edited version.

you should be doing a 2-pass encode with divx (but i'd still recommend xvid)

why do you have to export at 320*240?

how long is the video?

i can download 10MB in about 30 seconds, but i still wouldn't appreciate a 10MB email attachment. Indeed, many email accounts will reject an attachment that big.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

8. Default

320x240 is for internet release. I was told 720x480 was to large. I managed to get a 720x480 at a decent file size to look close to how it did originally (using the super easy encoder on windows movie maker). The reason I DONT use that instead is to save myself the "If you got the file size that small at 720x480 you can get it smaller and look almost as good at 320x240" conversations, which I havent been able to do realistically, because my 320x240 at every reasonable file size looks more like 160x120 or maybe worse.

I have to convert it to .wmv after I capture it because for some reason it wont open my divx .avi captures. Maybe you know why? I can capture in .mpeg but the boarders of the video dont stretch to the edge like the divx ones do, even after encoding it still looks like a box within a box. And those seem to look a tiny bit worse then the divx.

I'd have no problem using Xvid if I knew how to use it. The settings are more complicated and each time I try there seems to be a bad combo or two of things that make the video really messed up, like the video being just one color, a green bar goin through the picture, the video running to fast, or there being no video at all.

The video i've been working with is a couple seconds over a minute long.

Im not trying to fit it into an e-mail Im just trying to make it a reasonable download, it will be posted on a site and since EVERYONE there posts at 160x120, 320x240 or 352x240 or 352x288 or 360x240, I dont want to be any different.

Blog Entries

I'd just like to dispell a commonly held myth:

Reducing the frame size does not reduce the file size.

It's the bitrate that counts, that is the amount of data per second. However, an image for any given bitrate will look better at lower frame size towards the lower end of the scale (this becomes insignificant as the bitrate becomes "high").

I always use the PAL standard frame size. Why? Because:

a) it's the same size as the inputs
    b) if people are like me, they maximise the video in playback. this being the case, encoding with a bitrate specifically for viewing in a windowed player is pointless. You might as well encode at full D1 resolution and crank up the bitrate to ensure good quality at higher resolutions (and avoid resizing).

Thats my opinion.

10. Default

sorry for the delay, computer problems. I've seen so many 320x240 that look great, even when sized up like most of us do. I'm aiming for an acceptable file size for 10 minute videos that still look good, I havent been able to do that though. I've seen people use such low data rates (100-200) on 320x240 films and it looks good, good enough to watch at fullscreen, but so far every attempt i've had on trying to do that has been a failure. Granted my original 720x480 footage has a 300kbps video data rate and a 224kbps Audio, but the file size is 330MB and it's only 15 minutes long.

If I have a 320x240 on fullscreen and a 720x480 on fullscreen can the 320x240 look as good as the 720x480 by raising the bitrate? (assuming the 720x480 isnt to high on the resolution scale)? As far as the look of the video what does the bitrate effect?

What is Video Sample size? My original footage video sample size is 12-bit, so im wondering what part it has to play.

by the way, whats D1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast