Thread: Glidetrack on a budget

Blog Entries

Default Glidetrack on a budget

So - the Glidetrack is all very lovely - but what if you can't afford the three hundred quid plus they want for the HD version (1mtr long)

I looked into what the product is and was surprised at its simplicity. Essentialy it's a track with linear bearings on. Admittedly they've refined it with fancy feet and a tripod mount etc - but I just wanted a basic slider that'd take my Z1E with no hassle.

So - onto eBay and for less than a hundred quid I got 2 x 20mm induction hardened rails 1.2 metres long, four mounting brackets and four linear bearing blocks. Turns out I way over estimated what I'd need as the kit is way heavier than I actually needed. 12mm rails would have been more than sufficient.

Anyhoo, I bolted the mounts down to some bits of aluminium I'd got lying around, added a flat plate to the linear bearing blocks, added an old Manfrotto mount I'd long forgotton about and hey presto - results below.

The glide is silky smooth. It's a tad heavy and would need two tripods to mount it on if I don't want to use it on the ground but It's a good start I think.

IMG01235-20110201-2131.jpgIMG01240-20110201-2132.jpg IMG01242-20110201-2133.jpg

Again I think It proves that with just a little bit of thought you can get those 'cinematic' shots you lust after without shelling out fantastical amounts of cash on sexy gear...

As this is written - you can source the rails that I bought HERE. But I'd do a search and get maybe 12mm rails if you can.... unless you like humping heavy kit around. (The upside of mine is that is absolutely rigid - no twist at all).

looks great andy. sample footage please.

im working on something with one of our engineers based in China. he reckons he can make a usable glidetrack for around 15.00
    watch this space as they say.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    looks great andy. sample footage please.

im working on something with one of our engineers based in China. he reckons he can make a usable glidetrack for around 15.00
    watch this space as they say.
    I'll definitely be watching. And if its successful, i'll be interested in buying one (so long as you're not after 300!). I have no access to workshop, tools or any degree of competence with them if I did. I admire people like Andy who can "just knock one up".

Andy - that looks like a serious piece of kit. Given how over specified it turned out, for variety have you thought of mounting your camera on a fixed tripod and placing your subject on the glide track?
    Tim

Ditto eveything Tim said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ...Given how over specified it turned out, for variety have you thought of mounting your camera on a fixed tripod and placing your subject on the glide track?
    That made me laugh out loud.....

Footage soon, I promise.

Blog Entries

Incidentally - the carpet in shot on those pictures was down when we moved in. It's going soon.

For those who want glide shots on a really tight budget . . . Buy 1mtr of silky fabric, sit the cam on top, pull gently on the end of the fabric and slide your cam smoothly in whatever direction you need. Works great on laminate/wood/tiles
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    ...Works great on laminate/wood/tiles
    But rubbish on grass....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Incidentally - the carpet in shot on those pictures was down when we moved in. It's going soon.
    Just before anyone commented!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    But rubbish on grass....
    . . . and stairs . . .
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club