Thread: Camera or software?

Default Camera or software?

I had decided that, for work, we should purchase a Panasonic HMC150 camera and go with Final Cut for editing. However, today I came across several videos shot with consumer HD camcorders that were edited using some type of effect from a Red Giant program like Magic Bullet. These videos look amazing! I'm pushing the budget with the camera and the purchase of a Mac and now I'm wondering if I should go with a camera that, with accessories, is around $1200.00 total and spend some of the budget on Magic Bullet. I'm a beginner with a camera but a decent editor using Sony Vegas. With a smaller camera, I can get some lights and maybe an Azden wireless mic kit that's listed on B and H for $147.00. Any thoughts? Camera or Magic Bullet? Which is better if you can only chose one?

I'd go for the camera. A lot of the magic bullet looks can be done with the tools in Vegas anyway.

Default thank you!!

Thanks so much!

4. Default

> today I came across several videos shot with consumer HD camcorders that were edited using
    > some type of effect from a Red Giant program like Magic Bullet. These videos look amazing!

Could you link to the videos? Are they all in one place?
    I just bought an HD consumer camera, and I'm not impressed with it.
    If you don't have the link(s) bookmarked, don't worry.

Default links

Quote Originally Posted by -Anti- View Post
    > today I came across several videos shot with consumer HD camcorders that were edited using
    > some type of effect from a Red Giant program like Magic Bullet. These videos look amazing!

Could you link to the videos? Are they all in one place?
    I just bought an HD consumer camera, and I'm not impressed with it.
    If you don't have the link(s) bookmarked, don't worry.

- Here is one. There are several other videos on the side once you click on this link in youtube. Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the consumer camera. I'm going to try to get the prosumer camera. Hopefully, they'll approve it!

6. Default

Thanks. Impressive indeed. That camera is 3x more expensive than the one I was disappointed with though.
    I've obviously got a different idea of what a 'consumer' price range is.

without doubt go for the camera. i love "magic bullet looks" and have used it quite a bit. BUT, magic bullet looks is just that..... a "look" which is already starting to look dated. also its VERY processor hungry even with a decent spec PC takes an age to render and although you can customise the presets you''l soon find that you wont use more than a couple of them. the link astrid has posted...... the video is quite extreme even for magic bullet but once you've produced a few like that where then ? for real world stuff and subtle film look
    You can achieve most of the "colour correction" style techniques quite easily with a few sinple tweeks in your regular editing program.

as i said i love magic bullet but find im using it less and less these days. i good cameara on the other hand will see you right for years

You'll still need an NLE to use magic bullet with. It's not a video editor you know.