Thread: Creating DVD - file too big

Default Creating DVD - file too big

Hi,
    I am new to this forum, fairly new to video production and totally new to Vegas Pro 9 having just up-graded from Pinnacle Studio (which I just played with) now in retirement - I wanna do more!!

OK Introduction out of the way...... I had a 50 min video originally in .avi format which Vegas could not import, so I converted it to mpeg2. I did two simple edits cutting 2 sections and swapping their relative positions.

I saved the project then opened it in DVDArchitect which I wasn't sure about the output settings on so chose the mpeg2 option again. set it as a simple film no titles or menus, just a straight burn to DVD. but it told me that the file size was too large for a standard 4.7g DVD disk, as it was 4.8g! this seemed rather steep for a 50min film which was originally on a DVD as a .avi file.

Anyway, I chose to humour it and inserted a dual layer DVD but part-way through the process (not sure at what point as I went out and left it to do its business) a box appeared telling me I have to insert a chapter somewhere between 00:37 and 00:49 (I think it was).

I have no idea what that means, or how to do it and also question if I made the correct choice decisions for creating to DVD to obtain the best quality.

Any advice welcome (keep it simple, I am!)

Which template did you use to render the video in Vegas.

Pal dvd 4:3

Click on the render button and choose MainConcept mpeg2. Select the PAL DVD template. Now press the custom button. Change the maximum bps to 8,500,000 and tick the Two-pass tick box. This will take twice as long to render but should give you a small enough file to fit on a standard DVD with reasonable quality.

5. Default

On behalf of my colleague pyman - Thanks for your help. I've no idea what we did but when we opened the project this morning everything had returned to normal - as if by magic!!!
    Last edited by castman; 02-02-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Don't you just love those editing fairies.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Don't you just love those editing fairies.
    Yes indeed! The original poster is known to me, in fact he called round to see if I could throw light on his problem - he foolishly thought that as I have been "playing" with Vegas Pro 9 for a year or so (on and off) - I would be some kind of expert.

I then showed him Douglas Spotted Eagle's rather large volume on Vegas Pro and watched the colour drain from his face as the harsh reality of the learning curve ahead of him, sank in! ....he slopped off dragging his laptop behind him...... I loaned him the book, he's retired, he has time to read annd digest it!!

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee