Thread: First Sony Vegas video/Windsurfing

Default First Sony Vegas video/Windsurfing

Hi, this is my first video using Sony Vegas Studio Ultimate 10 as editor having only used WMM beforehand. The camera is a Go Pro HD shot at 960. The Go Pro produces MPEG4 /h264/aac and the footage was taken direct into Vegas. The camera is helmet mounted and lighting conditions were grey and overcast. I am learning Vegas as I go with just the excellent FASST 40 minute training DVD that came free with the software pack, to kick start my efforts. The video is called Kombat. There is another video on the channel which strictly speaking was my first attempt using a mix of previous footage I had shot with a very cheap and non waterproof SD action camera.

Last edited by TimStannard; 01-31-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Mike,

I've changed your link to link to the actual video rather than the channel. Please only post links to videos in this section otherwise it can become confusing which video the converstation relate to. For the same reason we insist on one video per thread. Thanks.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Given that I'm way beyond any sort of age where I might attempt windsurfing for teh first time, the POV provided interesting footage - for a half a minute or so. Unfortunately it was very samey. This is the challenge with a video like this, you really need to get lots of other shots and cut them together to provide variety.

At least you didn't fall into the "beginners" trap of trying to spice it up with loads of transitions. I was about to congratulate you for not using too many different or naff transitions when you threw in that hideous spinning cube. It may be ok for titles or a title sequence, but purleese not in the middle of a film

The other requirement for a film (in my book) is that it should have some sort of narrative. This one had a start (you all meeting up) but then it was on to the water and ... well nothing. This leaves the viewer disappointed.

Just a couple of things to think about when you next edit something together.

And welcome to the Vegas club!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Mike,

I've changed your link to link to the actual video rather than the channel. Please only post links to videos in this section otherwise it can become confusing which video the converstation relate to. For the same reason we insist on one video per thread. Thanks.
    noted thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the need for a narrative and really need another camera to do the off water bits since the Go Pro is not a hand hold and inside its water proof case audio is somewhat muted. I have tried to do more of a narrative in a DVD version of this which includes much more of the source footage from the day and of course is not so restrictive in terms of time and data volume. The "samey" comment is noted and it is a real problem because the principle aim of the day is to windsurf...not to film. The longer DVD is therefore even more guilty of this!! So maybe the way around it is to bring extracts from several different sessions together on one video? Another tactic might be to share footage with other guys out there also using cams on the same day, which could potentially provide different shooting angles if we can find the synch points. At least then I would have a mix of mount positions and water conditions/kit and camera angles. any other suggestions welcome because I really want to progress to a decent standard. It is interesting to get feedback from a video enthusiast rather than a windsurfing enthusiast....different eyes!

I think Tim has covered the main points. The POV shots that you can get with the GoPro are great for short shots but I think the really make the whole video more interesting to the viewer is mixing the shots. You had the idea of taking shots from different times which may help BUT I would still like to see some long shots from the land OR even a boat. You may have to pull resources from others and make it a real team effort to put together a great windsurfing video.

Hope this helps.