Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic or Dictaphone?

Default Mic or Dictaphone?

Just wondering if anyone uses a Good quality Digital dictaphone (Zoon HN4 for example) instead of using a microphone through their camera?

I know that dictaphones can produce radio broadcast quality sound, but just wondering how it compares to the similarly priced AT897 for example as there could be some advantages to having a handheld dictaphone when shooting interviews alone for example.

The zooms are very good quality
    You know, I keep hearing people say that, and it might be true for all I know, but every single recording I've ever heard with one thus far has sounded just plain awful. Do you know of any good examples anywhere on the web?

I don't know anything about them, but the recordings I've heard so far all sound like they came from mics that were using little 1/2" diaphrams, which might sound fine close-mic'ed on an acoustic guitar, but would be pretty bad for speaking parts.

You cannot compare a shotgun with a cardioid?
    I wasn't, but they also tend to use small diaphrams. That might be fine for certain things like interviews, but for real dramatic work I wouldn't touch a shotgun mic.

I just did some searching and found some nice sounding recordings done with Zoom units. I must say though, that after having compared various models that most of the recordings I've heard made the H4n sound a little brittle in the high-end compared to the older H2 using the built-in mics on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopie View Post
    You know, I keep hearing people say that, and it might be true for all I know, but every single recording I've ever heard with one thus far has sounded just plain awful. Do you know of any good examples anywhere on the web?

This recording was made with a Zoom H4n, using the internal stereo mics. Also I know all TimS's voice over's are done using a Zoom H2 however I'm not sure which ones are recorded with the internal mics and which are recorded using his new K6 mic, if that helps you get an idea of the zooms quality. The Zoom is good for two main reasons. It is an excellent digital recorder if one is needed on a shoot and two it has good stereo mics as a bonus and if you don't like the quality of the internal mics you can plug in a pair of good external mics (XLR or 1/4 inch jack plug). Oh and the price is quite good aswell.
    I use mine most of the time for audio recording and find having the camera not hooked up to the mics very liberating.

Boy, that sounds great!

Well, I don't know if it's that good but I was pleased with it on it's first outing.

The Zoom is there, just to the right or the conductor about 7ft in the air on the end of a mic stand but you can't see it very well because of the lighting and the choir was wearing black. I was lucky that the church it was recorded in didn't have a bad echo/acoustics like a lot of old churches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Also I know all TimS's voice over's are done using a Zoom H2 however I'm not sure which ones are recorded with the internal mics and which are recorded using his new K6 mic
    For what it's worth, everything you've heard from the Zoom H2 was recorded using the internal mics. I've yet to use the K6/ME66 in earnest. (And Earnest isn't looking forward to it)
    Tim

Zoom H4n is a really decent recorder.
    Pair it up with a decent mic and you have a winner!

Marantz PMD-661 & PMD-671 are very nice as well.
    I used the PMD-671 for some voiceover & stock sound effects recording and it was AMAZING! The only downside is the cost and also having to have an extra man to operate the recorder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast