Thread: Capture Video Has Audio/Video Sync Problems

Default Capture Video Has Audio/Video Sync Problems

Hey folks...
    It's me again. My 1 hour and 45 minute long captured AVI file has major syncing problems. I have a utility called VirtualDub that allows me to delay the audio track by milliseconds, but it appears that the delay is not consistent. The video is of a wedding, so I chose to use whern the groom says "I do" to sync the audio to the video. I used the timer to figure how by how many milliseconds the audio was off from the video and was able to match up the "I do" just fine. However, as the AVI plays, the audio becomes desynched again. Is this common to have an inconsistent "desync"?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again!

how did you capture it?

What format/codecs is the video using?

you've delayed the video, but have you interleaved it?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Hello...
    Thanks for your prompt response! The boards were a bit wacky for me this morning.

I'm capturing using my ATI AIW 9800 card with the TV/Video programs that comes with the multimedia center. I've downloaded to most recent versions.

It's set to record as an uncompressed AVI file with no codecs.

Also, the audio is set to interleave every 1 frame and to preload 500 ms of audio. I know you asked if the video is interleaved, but I can't find any settings to that effect.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theroacher
    The boards were a bit wacky for me this morning.
    I have been doing some maintenance on the site.

Hey, no problem. I just thought it was my computer.

Would I be better to get a DV concerter connected to a firewire port so I could capture it directly into Premier Pro 1.5?

Blog Entries

Would I be better to get a DV concerter connected to a firewire port so I could capture it directly into Premier Pro 1.5?
    They're not cheap, but yes it will solve the audio synch problem.

Hello...
    Thanks for your prompt response! The boards were a bit wacky for me this morning.

I'm capturing using my ATI AIW 9800 card with the TV/Video programs that comes with the multimedia center. I've downloaded to most recent versions.

It's set to record as an uncompressed AVI file with no codecs.

Also, the audio is set to interleave every 1 frame and to preload 500 ms of audio. I know you asked if the video is interleaved, but I can't find any settings to that effect.

Thanks again!
    you've interleaved the audio, WITH the video. It's interleaved.

As for your problem, I don't know what the included app is like. I like IUvcr, it's the best i've come across for analogue capture. Give it a shot.

Sync problems, however, often occur when you cature as uncompressed avi, because you'll often find that a pc/hard drive won't keep up with that kind of data transfer.

Try capturing with huffyuv, or DV codec if you can.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

I had similar problems albeit with the older ATI AIW 8500DV. I use the latest ATI multimedia centre. There are loads of possible settings/codecs in the ATI capture settings window eg including dv etc. However I think this lists all the codecs on the PC so not all are relevant. As this is analogue capture (eg S video/composite or capture from the TV tuner) I think (but am not sure) that it is happiest capturing to DVD settings eg MPEG2. However, these play on the computer but premiere does not play or export them properly.as it is not designed for MPEG2 editing.

Like you I found capturing to uncompressed AVI there were significant av sync problems and black video when exported. there didn't seem to be dropped frames or difficulty with the PC keeping up.

Many people have put similar posts on the adobe premiere forum (www.adobe.com).

What I am doing now is:
    1. Capturing from TV tuner in MPEG2 format
    2. Using virtualdub-MPEG2 (a variant of VDub) to convert to AVI.

These AVIs are fine and synced in premiere.I suppose if you are being academic this might be a lossy way of doing things, but not noticeable to me.

Of course I use firewire for DV capture etc: the above is mainly for capturing snippets from the telly.

I know the above sequence is long winded but I have yet to get the AIW to capture cleanly to AVI (including huffyuv codec). I would be very pleased to know if anyone has a simpler solution!

Michael

Syntax 266 mobo
    AMD athlon 2000
    756mb SDRAM
    AIW 8500dv
    SB audigy2 platinum
    Windows XP home: multiple versions on hyperos 2004
    120GB O/s HD
    200 drive for audio/vid files

I've had similar problems with vdub, solution was to use nandub

http://ndub.sourceforge.net/

It deals with audio better. Especially variable bitrate audio wich vdub has trouble with.

Oooohhh... not heard of that. I shall give it a try!