Thread: how do you know which source clips have been used?

1. Default how do you know which source clips have been used?

In Pinnacle, when you add a clip to the time-line, the clip's thumbnail in the bin has an icon displayed in the corner so you know you've used that clip already.

How is this supposed to be handled in Sony Vegas?
    I've got 32 clips in the bin and I'm totally lost on which ones I've used and which ones I haven't used yet.

I tried searching for this, but I don't really know what keywords I'm searching for, so I can't find it.

Thanks.

The clips are added to the bin as you use them. If you have deleted some of the clips off the time line you can click on an option to clear the media bin of all unused clips. Click on the Tools menu and select "clear project media". This will remove all media not being used on the time line.

3. Default

> The clips are [supposed to be] added to the bin [only] as you use them

Hmmm... perhaps I'm not using the bin correctly then.

My workflow is to copy everything from the camera to: c:/user/[name]/videos/[project folder]
    Then in Vegas, import all files into the bin straight away.
    This is so I can see thumbnails of all the clips I have at my disposal, and preview them all easily.

Thanks for confirming that Vegas doesn't flag which clips are on the time line.

Midnight did NOT confirm that. Midnight explained how to get rid of unused Media.

Vegas certainly DOES flag timeline Events by using the Used Count column in detail view.

0 = Not Used

1 = Used Once

2 = Used Twice

3 = Used 3x

n = Used nx

Also Vegas bins have Boolean search facilities as well as having options to then place those results into further Bins.

5. Default

> Thanks for confirming that Vegas doesn't flag which clips are on the time line [in the same way as pinnacle, by overlaying an icon].

^ fixed

I don't like the detailed view because it doesn't show the thumbnails, but thanks for the boolean search tip. That will work nicely.
    I would never have tried that!

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Vegas CAN flag which clips are in use on the timeline. CTRL SHIFT and I or View/Active Take Information.

Well yes, but I think our colleague here wants to see in this info within the PROJECT MEDIA, flagged on the thumbnail itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Well yes, but I think our colleague here wants to see in this info within the PROJECT MEDIA, flagged on the thumbnail itself.

Ah yes - I must learn to pay more attention.........

Anti, it's not that your work flow is wrong it's just not the same as me. As Grazie has pointed out Vegas does not show used clips in thumbnail view like Pinnacle does but it does shows used clips in detailed view and a whole ton of other information.

Hope this helps.

10. Default

All the replies were helpful. Thanks.