Thread: Burn Out - Video Collage

Default Burn Out - Video Collage

So for my school photography project I set myself a task to create a 'video collage' type film that showed peoples 'none-stop' culture and it's cost to our lives. ie our lives are filled relentlessly with travel, shopping, working etc. Whereas everything else in nature has time to slow.

There wasn't any strict plan to the film, but to gather some footage and put it together.

Take a look, I'd be interested in what you think

Cheers

Blog Entries

Individually you've got some very nice shots. Iike the movement you manage to get in some of the images wven though they were timelapse (I presume this was done in post?). I thought it was well put together in terms of the transitions from one shot to the next, and the shots were'nt held too long or too short.

However, interesting as they were, I found I rapidly lost interest. The film didn't really develop and the message you described didn't come across to me at all. I wonder whether this is down to the lack of planning.

Sorry!
    Tim

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everything Tim said. It just seemed to be a bunch of clips speeded up or slowed down, but none of it got the meaning across you intended in my opinion.

Incidentally, I got up early this morning and spent some time watching a few episodes of The X-Files at Hulu. One that I watched was called "All Things", and it was all about exactly what you're talking about. I've seen most of the X-Files episodes, but this one was like no other. It had a particularly Buddhist slant and was probably the only episode they ever did that went for an art-house feel. It's one of the best things I've ever seen of its kind. You should really try to catch it if you can find it. It's too bad you can't get Hulu in England.

As to that X-Files episode, I should have said that the whole thing had this otherworldy feel to it that sort of took you outside time and space. It was the kind of thing that made you sort of question reality. And in order to show how fast Skully and her old boyfriend had been living, they actually slowed things down rather than speeding them up, and dropped some hip mystical kind of music bed over it, and it was just really effective. Very cool indeed.

^ No need to apologise guys. I appreciate your frankness (and I'll check out 'all things', sounds interesting)

I agree with what's been said. The piece is actually designed with an essay to supplement it (for my photography course) so as an outsider I can see that it would be difficult to latch onto the topic. So I guess the film is more putting my technical experimentations into practice, rather than telling a story.
    Having said that, if it were good enough It wouldn't need an essay with it ha!

Ah well, move along :P

6. Default

Just to say, it was apparent to me how much effort went into getting a few of those shots.
    You seemed to know what you wanted, and went to the bother of scouting out the right places and the right time.
    That alone puts you ahead of most other teens (I assume you're in 6th form, since you said 'school', not 'college').

If you overdubbed a suitable poem on that film, making some poignant points about life and time, it would be a
    winner in its own right, without requiring the accompanying essay. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!
    Yeah 6th form at the moment.

Interesting what you said, because I was thinking of putting in a few minimal bits of text to just push peoples thinking in the right direction.