Thread: Opinions on my work?

Default Opinions on my work?

Hi, just posting my latest wedding for critique!

Carly + Matthew // Highlights

Cheers!

Joe
    Last edited by JosephYoung; 01-27-2011 at 09:35 PM.

I’m no expert as I’m just starting out but to me that look excellent, the bride looked a bit camera shy on a few shots but that doesn’t take away from the video at all. Had a look at your website to, some really good work on there. Did get you get all the footage from a single camera by your self ?

Cheers zjayz, yes the bride was a bit camera shy, it helps when theyre not!

I use two cameras but operate them both myself, each has a different lens, one is a on a tripod/track, one is round my neck on a steadicam. I'd miss loads of shots having to change lenses and accessories.

Hi Joseph. Nice colours and a great Winter location. Have you watched this without sound? Try it!
    Some of the swirling camera work was fab, but then . . . there was more and more. It seems this method is used to disguise a wobbly cam more than for artistic effect.
    Your editing would be improved immensely if you would allow the pan and tilts to finish their arc before moving onto the next shot. it's really irritating to be swept into an arc (which should always lead into something) then part way into the arc, swept into another half completed shot.
    I'm sure the tog spoilt more than a few shots, but the continuity was jarring. I know what you were trying to do cause I've seen it done so well by others, but unless there's an emotional attachment to the flashback it falls a little flat.
    Watch without sound and you'll see all this and more.
    Add more variety to your shots, tighten up the edits and the world is your lobster.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Hi Zero,

Thanks for the constructive comments. Yes I had another comment on the pans and steadicam stuff at eventfilmmaker. I got into videography 7 months ago and only recently got the steadicam, so I think I went a bit overboard on it. I desperatley need a wide angle lens to vary up the shots.

Just so I can get a better idea, where in particular did you think the editing or continuity didn't work?

Cheers!

Hi Joseph - In the editing, the cuts before the pans/tilts completed were the main niggle and without watching the clip again, my instant recollection was of the couple sat at the table after the ceremony, cut to photos outside, cut back to the table shot again. B&G on their own outside, cut to group shot etc.
    If you watch without the distraction of music you'll spot many more.
    Before you publish clips for opinions just watch without the music as it will always fog the emotions. If you know all shots work standing on their own, adding the music will give it the final zing you need.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Yeh I get what you mean, I think I've tried to jump all over the place a bit to much. I could to with tightening it up, good feedback for the next wedding, always need to improve, cheers. Just tried without sound, its easier to notice if it may have gone off on a tangent, the music smooths things over.
    Last edited by JosephYoung; 02-02-2011 at 08:22 PM.