Thread: old film look for project

Default old film look for project

Hi,

Does any one know how I can get an old film look when filming using digital format. I want to create the effects like you would get when you shoot with a 16mm camera with all the dirt and colours.

Does anyone know of a quick way to do this? I would expect this to be done in post but I don't want to send too much, i dont really have a budget, it is for my course work.

Thanks,

P

Yes, most Editing programs will do this sort of thing either as a single effect or a combination of them. Even WIndows Movie Maker can do it.

really? cool how can i find the effects? sorry I am quite new to editing and it is my first time using Final Cut Pro.

I was searching online and found this Luca Visual FX have you ever used it before? the demos looks like the type of thing i am looking for. Do you know if is it any good?

Check out this tutorial on Video co pilot: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals . It shows you how to do an effect like this in After Effects. It also gives you some stock footage of an old film reel which you use to create the effect. You can download a free 30 day trial of After Effects from the Adobe website.

or if you have an iPhone, the 8mm app cost just 1.25 and IMO is more authentic looking than the plug ins for editing programs. i realise this might not be the ideal solution if your footage is already in the can.....

here's some i did earlier ....

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/just-fu...ne-camera.html

Hello,
    I use Final Cut Pro. I imported a filter, 'Aged Film', which I found on Final Cut Pro / Express Plugins by Eiperle CGM
    It is free, and it works fine for me, so what more must it be. Good luck to thee.
    greetings from Holland
    Is videofilmen je hobby? Kijk hier!

Hi,

Thank you for your replies!

I thought I would give you all a quick update.

In the end I got my parents to get me FilmFX transitions2 and I have been using it for a few months now. I think I have started a trend at school as now everyone on my course wants to try and recreate the same look! I found these effects really easy to use and was thinking of getting the leaders collection as well since i can now afford it with my new part time job. Has anyone tried this? The demo looks really cool and there is this really cool looking countdown as well and plus they are offering to change the word in any one of the leaders to anything you want, I was thinking of getting one that says 'Pablo Productions' or 'Pablo Films' and use it at the beginning of all the projects I do. It is on offer now and thought I should get it before it gets more expensive.

Heres a link to see the demo i was talking about.

Anyone also have any ideas what I could name my 'company' something cool and catchy so I can get it on the leader. Thanks

P

Pablo - it might be worth checking out a site like pond5 - they sell a lot of stock footage... and they have various examples of film count downs.. i don't think they are massively expensive.

There are other stock sites too like revostock... may be worth checking out before you spend loads of cash on one set of leaders

In fact i just took a look - $70 ?

I'll make you an offer..... tell me the name of your company and i'll get someone here to make you a jittery old grainy film version of teh name that you can put on the start of any leader you buy.
    Last edited by Thurston Lang; 04-05-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: extra info

Cool

Wow thanks Thurston! That is really nice of you to offer, only wish I read your post before I bought the Leaders Collection at lucavisualfx. Sorry I couldn't wait . At the moment it is only $69 so I thought I should get it before the promotion ends. I am still not sure what to call my company yet and I think I can just contact them when I decide so no rush. I have been playing around with them and they are awesome!