Thread: Live recording for band

1. Default Live recording for band

Hi, I am looking at recording some live material for a rock band. I shoot using a Canon HV40. Basically, I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the sound right. I will only have one chance to shoot this so it needs to be right first time and im worried that the audio will be distorted if the music is too loud. How do people normally combat this? Many thanks

I've never really shot a gig but I'm pretty sure you would usually use a feed from the sound desk at the venue and record straight from that and synch it afterwards.

3. Default

Thing is though mate, im pretty sure they will just be pluged into their amps and playing from that. Any other options?

I think it'll be pretty hard to get the sound right like that I'm afraid, you may just have to set up a couple of mics and hope for the best. No way you can do a test beforehand? Perhaps someone else with a bit more experience in this would be able to give you some tips though.

Blog Entries

Well having looked at the specs on your camera I see it has manual level control for audio - so that's a start at least. Ideally as martchap said - yes, you'd take a feed from the sounddesk and sync in post normally. In your situation I think you're going to struggle unless you do some serious investing in at least a couple of decent mics and a recorder - which I suspect won't be the case. So - you're going to have to keep a very close eye on your sound levels when recording - but be aware - moving the camera during shooting will dramatically affect the sound if you're using the on board mic (which will almost certainly be fairly dreadful in this situation). Don't for instance turn to get audience reaction....

Best option for you will be a mic plugged in to your camera if you can source one - and that's about as good as you'll get. Bear in mind though - if vocals are through speakers stage left and right and the instruments are centred - and an audience is whooping and hollering in front of them - you'll need to position the mic where it gets a fair balance of everything.

Good luck!

It sounds like this band must be doing strictly instrumental stuff, no? I mean, if they have no PA....

I certainly wouldn't try to record the main sound onto the cam. You might be surprised how good a sound you can get though just running a couple of good mics through a small mixer and then into a digital recorder of some kind. It depends on the size of the hall, how loud the band is etc. Look at how many great live recordings have been made over the years at little jazz dives like the Villiage Vanguard. A drummer friend of mine played there many years ago and told me he was shocked at how tiny the club was considering its place in history. Anyhow, almsot every record ever made there was done with only one or two well placed mics. Most jazz recordings were made like that in the 50s and 60s, and a lot of them sound terrific.