Thread: Analogue to DV capture devices

Default Analogue to DV capture devices

I have read the following section from an article posted on 28th December, by Marc Peters, in answer to a query from prodan_d on 27th December and would like more information, if possible, please:-

"But hardware acceleration (to take the strain away) will enable better results - especially on a slower system. You mention Haupaugge's cards, but these aren't designed to be converters - it's just an added bonus to get the video-in connections and MPEG hardware compression. So with this kind of setup, you'll improve the quality of MPEG encoding, but this format isn't perfect for video editing. What you really need is a dedicated converter. The Dazzle DVC 150 was designed for the job, but because it uses USB, again you're going to be limited to the data transfer rate. I've never used the device before, so I shouldn't really comment . Its not an issue of draining resources, more an an issue of data transfer rates. For a little bit extra you can get a ADVC50. This is a dedicated converter that does ALL the work and can capture DV AVI quality which as mentioned is perfect for editing (although eats hard drive space!)"

I can't find the Canopus ADVC-50 in the UK, but have found an "ADS Technologies USB Instant DVD 2.0" product at just under 100, which I'm hoping will do the same job as the ADVC50. Can you confirm if this is so please? Also, could I input a signal from a domestic DVD player, edit selections from a DVD, then burn these selections to DVD, via a DVD writer?

Blog Entries

You'll probably come up against macrovision protection if you connect a DVD player to a PC. The easiest way to convert scenes from a DVD is using one of a plethora of DVD "back up" solutions such as DVDshrink.

DVC (click here for link) stock a range of canopus convertors in the UK.

Default Analogue to DV Capture devices

Many thanks for your prompt response and information links.

Any comment on the ADS Technologies USB instant DVD 2.0 product please, compared to Canopus ADVC-50, as it's only 2/3rds of the price. Does this mean it's 2/3rd's of the value - or does it not do the same things?

Blog Entries

Sounds decent enough from the specs. A search on the forums came up with this problem: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=576

Advantages of this over the ADVC50 is direct to MPEG2. Disadvantage is that MPEG2 is hard to edit. So if you're going direct to DVD, this is probaby the prefered solution.

Default Analogue to DVD capture devices

Wonderful and informative service.

Many thanks for your input - and especially your fast responses.

I shall definitely recommend your forum to colleagues experiencing other difficulties with video editing.

Cheers,
    Alna Bliss

Blog Entries

No problem. Always happy to try and point fellow newbies in the right direction (I'm still learning myself and frequently make mistakes!)