Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a good clip on mic for interviews?

Default Where can I get a good clip on mic for interviews?

As some of you already know I have been learning the filming/video trade as I go along and now I think its about time I got some clip on mics to improve sound on the interviews I am doing.

Had a cheap and nasty one off amazon but it did not last and was not reliable.

Can anybody recomend a good but not to expensive clip on mic and where to get it.???

Thanks guys

p.s. its to go with the sony z1e camera

Blog Entries

If you've got XLR inputs then you should be thinking about spending 200 on a decent secondhand lavalier. It will last you for years and years. Look for a Tram TR50 a Sony ECM77 or Sanken COS11.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    If you've got XLR inputs then you should be thinking about spending 200 on a decent secondhand lavalier. It will last you for years and years. Look for a Tram TR50 a Sony ECM77 or Sanken COS11.
    200.WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I was looking at the 50 mark and still expecting change.LOL

Pay for what you get I supose.

Is there any slightly cheaper but almost as good clip on mics around.

Blog Entries

This might be more up your street.

Audio Technica ATR35s. I think I paid about 17 inc shipping fom the US about a year ago. I know I fugured it was so cheap that if the company was dodgy or the quality was rubbish I'd not lost more than one can easily spend on a round of drinks.

Hi-fi it ain't, but for straightforward voice capturing it certainly does the job. The lesson once again is that proximity to the sound source is far more important than the cost of the mic.

What I've posted below is a small sample of something that was never intended for public consumption, so please ignore the content, but do listen to the end because I say a few words and I'm about six feet from the mic. This gives you an idea of range & how much it dies off as you get further away. In fact, as the surrounding is glass, you're probably hearing more of my reflected voice (from the glass which is only a couple fo feet away) than my mouth.

Also note that there was light rain on the conservatory roof which is inaudible (or at least the background electric noise drowns it out).

EDIT: I should have said, from memory, this sound is entirely untreated.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Tim

What are you plugging it into?
    What termination do you need on the cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo@Aframe View Post
    What are you plugging it into?
    What termination do you need on the cable?
    I am plugging into the adio ports(if thats what they are called) on the Sony z1e Camera.

In that case you have 2x XLR inputs;

You have two options:
    1. Wireless Mic Set up:

Makes like Trantec make wireless set ups for not a lot of money.

or

2. Wired Mic Set up

You have endless choice here. From 15 upwards.
    One thing to bare in mind is the Phantom Power cause some wired mics need phantom power to operate so read the specs carefully before hand.

In that case you have 2x XLR inputs;

You have two options:
    1. Wireless Mic Set up:

Makes like Trantec make wireless set ups for not a lot of money.

or

2. Wired Mic Set up

You have endless choice here. From 15 upwards.
    One thing to bare in mind is the Phantom Power cause some wired mics need phantom power to operate so read the specs carefully before hand.
    I am presuming that the wired mic set up is the cheaper and simpler to use so what would you recomend.

After having a think about it and I think I would rather pay a few more money out at the start and get quality sound rather than having to pay out more in the future.

What could I get for around 100?

Honestly it all depends on your needs.
    Throwing loads of cash doesn't necessarily give you the best solution!
    The best option I have used is the Sennheiser WE112P G3. Its a wireless set up with a portable receiver that is designed to be mounted on the camera. This is the best portable system I have dealt with for the money but they do cost around 500!

If you don't want to spend a fortune on a mic for now you could look at Samson QL5CL. Its a good quality wired mic that comes with its phantom power module. This isn't an expensive option by any means!
    I can't remember if the Z1s XLRs are powered or not but Audio Technica AT803B is a good one as well but it needs power.

Hope this helps.

10. Default

Honestly it all depends on your needs.
    Throwing loads of cash doesn't necessarily give you the best solution!
    The best option I have used is the Sennheiser WE112P G3. Its a wireless set up with a portable receiver that is designed to be mounted on the camera. This is the best portable system I have dealt with for the money but they do cost around 500!

If you don't want to spend a fortune on a mic for now you could look at Samson QL5CL. Its a good quality wired mic that comes with its phantom power module. This isn't an expensive option by any means!
    I can't remember if the Z1s XLRs are powered or not but Audio Technica AT803B is a good one as well but it needs power.

Hope this helps.
    I persume that just plugs straight in to the z1e with the need of any adaptor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast