Thread: How should I convert .mov file from final cut pro to .avi for premiere pro?

Default How should I convert .mov file from final cut pro to .avi for premiere pro?

Hi I was doing some filming as a favour over the weekend. After the filming I digitized the footage on a final cut pro edit suite and put the footage on my portable hard drive, as I had no firewire cable or anything to digitise the footage at home. However my pc has premiere pro cs4 and it doesn't accept .mov files. I want to convert the footage into a file that will work best with premiere with minimal loss of quality and minimal time wasted converting. The footage is standard definition footage from a mini dv casette. Anyone know what to do? I have downloaded quick media converter but I am not sure which settings I should set.

Sounds like you need to convert to a .avi file. Do you have a copy of quicktime pro? You could re export each .mov file as an .avi. I'm not that familiar with any other file converters (apart from quicktime pro) but essentially it should be a fairly straightforward process.

If you want some editing tips and techniques here's a good site ; http:video editing.

Cheers
    Dz

ok so. Ill give that a shot...

thanks that seems to be doing the trick. is there any other programmes that can do the same things but with multiple files together rather than one at a time as its going to take me a long time :-(

Quote Originally Posted by kevc View Post
    However my pc has premiere pro cs4 and it doesn't accept .mov files.
    Premiere Pro does import .mov files. You just need to have QuickTime (and the relevant codecs) installed on the computer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects Help and Support
    Premiere Pro Help and Support
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------