Thread: Adding a cinematatic effect to AVCHD footage

1. Default Adding a cinematatic effect to AVCHD footage

Hi i have quite a lot of AVCHD footage filmed and collected now, but it looks bland and boring and was wondering how to add or make it look cinematic whilst still keeping that HD look?. Iíve tried quite a few programmes but have never been happy with the results they either look too dark or not sharp and blurry. I would be grateful if anyone here can point me in the right direction?

many thanks.

Sand Films

What editing tools do you have to hand.

3. Default

i have Sony video studio 12 and 13 and Sony Vegas 8 and 10

Well Vegas has lots of tools that you can use. When using the colour curves just make sure you don't over do it as this can cause undesirable results. Don't be afraid to adjust the presets to suite what you have and want. I don't know if it would be appropriate for you to put on a letter box (top and bottom black bars) to give the image a cinematic wide screen. To be honest with out seeing the footage and knowing exactly what you want it's hard to know what to suggest.

Maybe you are just looking to edit the footage in a more pleasing way. Use it to tell a story ?

Movie cameras(like onces used in all major films) use 35mm film, the same film used in picture cameras, and is actually a higher quality then 1080p, I think its at 2200p, so theres no real conflict with the resolution of hd vs. cinematic.

In Vegas mess with

FX: Levels
    And look at your Waveform in the Video Scope. What you want to do with these is adjust your contrast, absolute blacks, and absolute whites.
    Then
    FX: Color Correction
    If you didn't white balance, this is where you want to adjust your colors. Or even if you want to give it warmer or cooler colors, this is there you do it. The main one to move will be the Mid.

The main things are adjusting your contrast and color balance, after that your free to experiment with looks.

6. Default

thanks for the info, I've tried messing around with bullet looks in Vegas but it too slow on render even on a dual core processor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sandfilms View Post
    thanks for the info, I've tried messing around with bullet looks in Vegas but it too slow on render even on a dual core processor
    Slow renders - I've found a few things can help speed rendering along (closing unneccesary processes etc) - but I just leave the machine to work overnight when a long render hoves into view.

Some basic colour correction can really help, lowering saturation is the classic for creating a filmic look, but it depends on the style of the film. Magic bullet is really easy to use and it can create some really nice looks, so if your not very experienced with colour grading yourself it might be best to take Andy's advice and just leave it over night, it'll be worth the wait.