Thread: Preview in Vegas

Default Preview in Vegas

I bought Sony Vegas Platinum, and while I have now got used to the basics, I hate the fact that the playback in the preview window is very poor. The picture stutters a lot, and so you can't get a true feeling for what you have edited, especially if there are transitions. I have tried fiddling with the settings but can't get it to play smoothly.

My older, slower Mac Mini and iMovie never had this problem.

If anybody else has this issue, or knows how to fix it I'd be really grateful for the advice!

MikeTV, you might want to start a new thread. You may get more responses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    MikeTV, you might want to start a new thread. You may get more responses.
    Moved as suggested by Grazie on MikeTV's behalf.
    Tim

An improved graphics card cured it for me, but that's on a PC. If you're on a Mac, I've no idea! :(
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    I hate the fact that the playback in the preview window is very poor. The picture stutters a lot, and so you can't get a true feeling for what you have edited, especially if there are transitions.

My older, slower Mac Mini and iMovie never had this problem.
    I'm not sure about iMovie, but certainly Final Cut Express and many, many PC based NLEs render as you go. In other words you make a change then have to wait a bit before you can play it back (often the progress is demonstrated by a progress bar which appears across the top of the timeline, and often bars showing which clips have not been rendered)

Vegas doesn't work like that. You can preview as soon as you make an edit. The sacrifice is that you don't get playback withch is both smooth and clear.

You have a number of options.

The fastest is not to render. Simply chose a low quality preview when dealing with timing related editing (eg cutting to the beat etc) and wher you want to see the "flow" and use a high quality preview when dealing with detailed work like zooming, masking or compositing. It may seem like a chore, but you get very quick at switching between the two.

If you need to preview in both hight quality and at real frame rates:

Tools | Selectively Prerender video (Shift+M) will pre-render the parts of trhe video (eg transitions) which need pre-rendering to provide a smooth playback.

Or you can Tools | Build Dynamic RAM preview (Shift B) for a short selection

Or you can render sections to a new track (Ctrl M)

Or if you repeat a selection ("Q") when previewing, this has a tendency to improve playback quality.

So there are many ways you can deal with this in Vegas. The key thing is that you have the choice - it doesn't force a re-render every time you make a change.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Tim