Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD Pro or Prosumer Cam needed. Budget 1200

Default HD Pro or Prosumer Cam needed. Budget 1200

Hi guys

I recently started shooting video for a website project and have been offered some serious work from it. Until now I have been renting an XH-A1 quite cheaply. However, this won't be cost effective for the amount of time I will now need to have the camera. So I need to invest. To be honest, I never achieved great imagery with the XH-A1, but I'm sure that was down to practise. If I have my own camera then I can play with it until I get the picture I'm looking for.

Anyway, I have a budget of 1k and can stretch to 1500 if absolutely necessary.

The main requirements are: Good quality imagery. HD, Good audio inputs. I would MUCH prefer to use solid state. But I realise this might not be possible on my budget.

99% of the footage will be in a studio environment.

I'm quite willing to go for 2nd hand. In fact I think it's a given.

I'd really appreciate some help with this. It's a nightmare when you're new to a technology.

This could get you going!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    This could get you going!
    Hmmmm. I think the following is relevant:

The Sony HXR-MC2000E Camcorder is a perfect entry-level AVCHD camcorder that gives the professional shoulder mount look whilst being light and portable. (My emboldening)

It's a single 1/4in sensor, which would immediately rule it out in my book.
    Tim

Spooky Ian. I found that camera last night and have it open on a tab.

Good point about the sensor size though. Would this really be an issue?

The video I am doing will all be web based. But that said I want it to be v.good quality and the option to burn to DVD in rare circumstances.

It seems like my budget puts me in a kind of black hole. It's above the consumer range but below the good quality solid state cams

I have a couple of months before work starts so I might just spend a lot of time on ebay, trying to get a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's a single 1/4in sensor, which would immediately rule it out in my book.
    Sensors are not so much of an issue nowadays in my book, especially the Sony CMOS sensors, which Nikon have had a lot of input into. Of more importance to me is the bit rate, and that cam does 24mbs which is the top rate possible for AVCHD camcorders, am or pro. Although it lacks XLR audio inputs, that could be addressed, so another plus would be the assignable lens ring for manual focus etc.
    I would certainly not dismiss it from the single sensor point of view, especially when the opposition 3CCD cameras are but 1/6 inch! The budget was on the nose too....
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds good.

What's the deal with mixing cameras? I'd like to buy a much smaller, cheaper camera for the odd cuttaway shot or strange angle, etc. Is there anyhting I need to look out for specifically, or just match the basic settings?

Quote Originally Posted by wizer View Post
    I'd like to buy a much smaller, cheaper camera for the odd cuttaway shot or strange angle, etc. Is there anyhting I need to look out for specifically, or just match the basic settings?
    Basic settings are a good start. A cheaper, smaller cam from the same manufacturer can help, as the defaults are likly to be similar!

My recommendation would also be the MC2000, I have seen the picture and it is not bad. Only 3.5mm socket for the audio.
    Your Perfect Day Cinematic Wedding Films on Vimeo
    Shotgun on that camera.

Try the GH2 panosonic audio not brilliant

Thanks Cheema. That video looked brilliant. Tho I am primarily going to be shooting in a studio, I still want it to look good.

Incidentally, Ian and Cheema are both local to me. Do you guys know of A: a good equipment hire company and B: any video courses or somewhere I can get some 1 to 1 training? I'm relatively new to shooting video and I'd like this next production to look the best I can make it.

Also, in general, is it feasible for someone like me to rent a cameraman or assistant for a couple of days?

Phone number in a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast