Thread: MATROX RT.X100 (advantages?)

Default MATROX RT.X100 (advantages?)

Hi just another hardware question...

Just about to buy one of these cards.
    I have read many reviews and descriptions but still need these answering.

When it says real time, does this just mean that when u ad say a transition and play ur movie it will run operfect as you play it?
    (I ask this, as my machine already does?)

When you then export does the card make a difference, and if so HOW MUCH?

we talking rendering twice as quick?

cheers
    John

Default Re: MATROX RT.X100 (advantages?)

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheWay
    Hi just another hardware question...

Just about to buy one of these cards.
    I have read many reviews and descriptions but still need these answering.

When it says real time, does this just mean that when you ad say a transition and play ur movie it will run operfect as you play it?
    (I ask this, as my machine already does?)

When you then export does the card make a difference, and if so HOW MUCH?

we talking rendering twice as quick?

cheers
    John
    No. We talking rendering and exporting in real time. you have a sixty second video and as long as you adhere to the rules for realtime render then you can export it in sixty seconds.

Word of advice on this card though. Do not even think about deviating from the approved h/w list that Matrox has.

Another big plus is the relatime MPEG2 encoder. This means that you can expiort ot MPEG2 in real time and also capture analogue and encode to MPEG2 for cutting yoru VHS tapes to DVD and not even have to touch Premiere. great

Get one of these cards working and you, like me, will answer many threads on this forum with the magic words "What does it mean, wait for render?" hee Hee, it really pisses everyone else off.

Blog Entries

I come from the flip side of Alan's arguments.

I took the decision not to buy dedicated hardware. My personal reasons are:

1) I have a fast PC anyway. My machine will output 1-pass MPEG2 at just over a 1:1 ratio (but I normally use a 2-pass VBR anyway).

2) I use Magic Bullet quite a lot, which isn't supported by the card anyway. This would render (get it?) it's advantages useless.

3) Chances are my existing PC won't be compatible and I'll end up with a lemon.

4) You're limited to the software the card manufacturers chose to support. There's no guarantee that Premiere 2.0 will be supported for example. This could mean upgrading hardware if you want to upgrade software.

5) As far as I'm aware, there's no HD support.

This definately isn't a piece of hardware that will easilty fit into an existing system. Think hard if you're using this as an "upgrade". That said, and even if it doesn't work on your machine, you'll still get the bundled software cheaper.

right...

from what i gather, if my hardware is compatiable then its a good investment.

As i need to make movies all the time, im currently near completion setting up a video editing and graphic design business. Im doing night club animations, wedding tapes, business training videos etc

So im guessing I can not go wrong with this. Regarding not working on new versions of premiere etc, it sounds like it will mate, as adobe wont be stupid enough to piss people off like that, my brother in-law does music and he has a dedicated music card for real time, when new software comes out better cards do, but his is still compatiable, I know it sounds different, but realistically, its very a like.

So any idea if my set up will be ok...

2 x 21" monitors
    2 x 200 gig HD
    2 x 512mb ( 2 slots free ) dane-elec pc3200
    TV in card (cheap and shit!)
    3.2 P4 HT
    BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)
    GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)

Running XP pro
    Premiere pro 1.5
    After effects 6.5
    Adobe audition
    DVD-LAB Pro
    Adobe Audition

also thinking of getting an extra gig of ram, is this likly to make a worth while improvement. Thanks again guys for your help, i was asking about all this a while ago but just need to get things moving as i have a back log of jobs before i have finished setting up.

John

Why did you install Adobe Audition twice?

Seriously though, check Matrox's web site for the list of compatible h/w and it's configurations. Also, as you have the s/w already, you'll effectively be buying it again. There was a some talk a while ago about Matrox releasing a h/w only option so you'll not have to buy s/w you already have. Investigate that also.

You really do have to be careful (from all the anecdotes) to get a compatible system. Apparently the thing is even fussy about which PCI slot it goes into! It's also a sizable investment for most as well. But, speaking personally, the lack waiting to render time has already saved me over a week (I reckon) so it soon pays for itself in these terms.

Also, marc does have a point about new s/w not being compatible. Anecdotal evidence would indicates that the most stable platform for the card is Premiere 6.5. Each version brings more and more issues for more and more poeple. However, the good news though, is that Adobe do listen to RTX100 users. The latest upgrade (patch) to Premiere (1.5.1) has code changes to support (fix issues for) the RTX100 purely as 'a favour' to Matrox.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheWay
    So im guessing I can not go wrong with this. Regarding not working on new versions of premiere etc, it sounds like it will mate, as adobe won't be stupid enough to piss people off like that
    It's not Adobe's decision, but rather whether Matrox will release patches for the software update. It's happened in the past with the rt2500 for example.

I bought a RTX100 last year and I'm loving it for sure!

well mine should be here in the morning......

I'll keep updated and prob ask some questions when it isn't working right