Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my interview with pro boxer Jamie Arthur?

Default What do you think of my interview with pro boxer Jamie Arthur?

I filmed and edited this for pro boxer Jamie Arthur to who is fightiing for the British title on 5th Feb.(Sky Sports 1 if your interested)

I have posted a few things on here if the last year so I am interested to know what you think of my latest effort.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-21-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Correct embedding of video

This I think is a better presentation than your last one. Generally it's not bad but some pointers for you. The overall volume seemed a little low but at least the speech is clear. The interviewing was done well and nice use of cutaways interspersed during the video. At around 1:30 someone comes into shot having a drink at the back which is a bit distracting from the focal point.

The other point you can fix in post. It looks like you didn't white balance your camera properly if you look at something in the shot that you know is white like the flags you will see the are a redish/creamy off white compared to your logo which is real big and white and very much a distraction as well.

Hope these points help.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This I think is a better presentation than your last one. Generally it's not bad but some pointers for you. The overall volume seemed a little low but at least the speech is clear. The interviewing was done well and nice use of cutaways interspersed during the video. At around 1:30 someone comes into shot having a drink at the back which is a bit distracting from the focal point.

The other point you can fix in post. It looks like you didn't white balance your camera properly if you look at something in the shot that you know is white like the flags you will see the are a redish/creamy off white compared to your logo which is real big and white and very much a distraction as well.

Hope these points help.
    All the points help thanks.

I thought I did white ballance the camera but reguarding what you said then perhaps I did not do it correctly.Will have to make a point of making sure I do it correcty in future.

Its the first time I used a hand mic in anger and I was pleased with the quality.The volume somthing you will increase in the edit I presume? What is considered the correct volume?

Thanks again

Do you have peak meters in you software. I would set the volume so it's peaks are just below going into the red, perhaps around --5dB. When you pressed the white balance button on your camera was it pointing at something white in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Do you have peak meters in you software. I would set the volume so it's peaks are just below going into the red, perhaps around --5dB. When you pressed the white balance button on your camera was it pointing at something white in the room.

I use sony vegas 9 and I am sure it does.I only learn about these things as I go along trying to improve my films.

yes I pointed the camera at a sheet of white paper.The gym is very gloomy,would this make a difference to the white balance ?

Yes, that could make a difference if the iris wasn't open enough while doing the white balance. OR if the lighting inside changed after the white balance was done OR if the white paper was a bit a blue tint OR is you hadn't zoomed in to filled the screen with the paper. In Vegas Pro 9 if you have the latest update (build e) there is a white balance correction tool. OR you could try with other colour correction tools.

Blog Entries

One of the disadvantages of a much clearer sound is it makes the odd mistake stand out a bit more!

Watch out for handling noise (there's some at 1.21 which could probably be fairly easily edited out or diminished). There are also a few electic "pops" which sound like the mic being switched on or off (maybe a loose connection) - eg 4.47. These are the sort of problems I recognise in my own attempts. so I'm only too aware of them.

I did think that you've gone in a bit too close with the mic. Close is good - but there were quite a few occasions where we could hear Ps "popping" - the result of the interviewee talking directly into the mic. Either move the mic away a bit or angle it so it's not directly in the way of the wind escaping from his mouth.

I thought that he was a bit too central in the shot - think rule of thirds. The cutaways at around 1.20 are better composed from that point of view. In the interview shot I wonder whether you could have made the punchbags in the background a little bigger by moving closer so that it fills the space you'd create by moving the interviewee further left.

All credit for using the ring, notices and punchbags as background. This gives it a real atmosphere and is so much better than a plain wall.

As Midnight said, this is a significant improvement, which means we can get even more critical - please don't take it as negative.
    Tim

I thought it was pretty good but there is definite room for improvement. Just to add what Tim said, I'd agree the mic is too close to his face - not only will this increase the 'pops' in the audio but it also tends to distract the interviewee which can cause awkwardness. Ideally you would want the mic to be an extra foot away from his mouth. In doing this make sure to turn the audio gain up a few db on the camcorder to counter the falloff caused by the distance.
    Agree again with Tim regarding the rule of thirds, 2/3s in front of the interviewee should be open space.
    Just one more point and that's the titles - not sure what program you are using to edit but most will allow you to add a shape layer behind the text, just so it stands out more and doesn't get lost in the background. Kind of like the ones you see on the news channels - BBC's red stripe with white text overlay or white stripe with black text overlay.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys it all helps.

As for the rule of thirds as Tim and Tommos both mentioned the problem I had was if I had the shot any closer then if he moved then he would have been out of frame.I have had this problem in the past when I have been doing the camara work and the interview at the the same time.

I interviewed a boxer a while back and he would not keep still and he kept moving out of the frame.

One thing I would say, is that I thought the captions were far too big. They became a distraction to what was going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast