Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on why my video playback is choppy?

1. Default Any ideas on why my video playback is choppy?

I was so happy *sniff*. It takes a long long time for a lowly little housewife to scrape together the cash to upgrade her pc, and I finally did it. A year after getting my digital camcorder, I finally got a dvd burner to go on a nice (moderate) pc. But now my Adobe Premire 6.5 isn't playing my movies right. When I drag an imported video onto the timeline and try to play it, it's very very choppy. I have a 2g processor and 1g of ram. It played just fine on my old 800mhz processor and 512 ram, so that can't possibly be the problem. I tried toatlly uninstalling and defragging, running scandisk, and reinstalling. Twice. That didn't help. I tried copying the disk onto the hard drive and installing off of that, that didn't help either.
    The videos were captured with Nero, and they play smoothly in Nero. When I first installed Adobe, the videos were fine, but when I was moving the slider to search for bits, the computer would freeze and I had to reboot. That was the first time I tried uninstalling. Now the same captured files play chunkily when they played smoothly in the same program before. I've updated all of my drivers very recently, since I just built this pc like two weeks ago.

It's an AMD Anthalon 64 3000+ processor (2g)
    1 g ram
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card
    Sound Blaster Live! LS sound card
    Windows SP2
    DirectX 9.0c
    Windows XP home edition

Any ideas?

hopefully someone will be able to help more but...

I capture files onto a seperate h/d to my operating system.
    It's all about disk access and seek times. The theory is that if you have a sperate drive, tasks requiring files from the boot drive won't interfere with encoding/capture. It's really more a case of every little helps. You could also argue that you're reducing the risk of failure (but to do this, best to go for a RAID array)
    - Marc Peters

ALso...

I captured all my videos with the sony budled software, when importing to premiere pro 1.5 i get errors, so I just spent the time to re-capture all 140 gig again :o

hrrm... why did you capture with nero?

what format did you capture in?

That's a pretty good pc you have there, when it's all running smoothly it'll do you just fine.

is the pc running stable in all other ways? Have you tried stress testing it with prime95, for example? New builds can be dodgy, and may require some tweaking to get running at optimum stability and speed.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

4. Default

Well, I captured with Nero because on the old setup I was able to capture with Adobe, then all of a sudden it wouldn't recognize my camera and I could never figure out why. So I just got into the habit of capturing with other things. I guess I could try Adobe again. I captured in ntsc, or however you spell it. Just the default one that they suggest if you live in America. Yeah, my pc runs perfectly in other ways. Knock on wood.
    I guess I'll just try to do it with Adobe, hope it doesn't start rejecting my camera again.

5. Default

Well, capturing with Adobe did not work. It looks like it is playing every fifth frame or something. Like the frame will show, then freeze while the sound continues, then it shows the next frame.

ok, so what method are you using to capture? which cable(s)? Which codecs?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

7. Default

I'm using a firewire.
    Um, you're going to have to help me out with what the codecs is, I thought that was just involved when burining a cd. I know I have the codecs installed to play dvds. I use the Nero start smart and just left everything default (not familiar enough with Nero to know my way around). When trying Adobe, I capture using capture/movie capture, then on the device control it says dv device control 2.0 (and the camera is controlled appropriately), video standard NTSC, device brand Sharp ('cause the camera is a Sharp), device type standard, timecode format drop frame.
    The Nero captures did come out as .avi files.

how long is the captured file, and how large is it?

I'd really recommend capturing in another app. IUvcr or something similar. There's another one that marc likes that i can't remember the name of, a small one just for capping DV, i'm sure he'll be along soon enough and will be able to tell you what it's called.
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

Blog Entries

It's called DVIO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    It's called DVIO.
    that's the one.

Hardly a bizarre, hard to remember name :P
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast