Thread: Independent audio recording device

Default Independent audio recording device

Hi,

I recently bought a helmet camera which gives me excellent image quality, but sadly the audio quality of the recordings are extremely poor when its inside it's protective housing. So I am in need of a portable microphone with some sort of indepent storage and battery life, which can be activated quickly.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to audio recording devices, so I would appreciate any help I can get to what to buy? However, I must stress that it has to be small enough to fit inside or be attached to a combat vest.

cheers

Blog Entries

Zoom H1 or H2. Either use the built in mic or, if you want the unit stowed in a pocket buy an external mic. If you mainly want to record your voice, a tie clip (lavalier) mic would do the trick.
    Tim

Don't forget the excellent Zoom H4n (not the H4) a bit more expensive than the others but a great recording device.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Don't forget the excellent Zoom H4n (not the H4) a bit more expensive than the others but a great recording device.
    And considerably bulkier!
    Tim

But still small enough to fit in an inside jacket pocket but you would see a bulge.

of no use to the OP but i was looking into one of these to use with my D3100 and lavalier mic set up.
    Olympus VN 8700PC 4 GB Digital voice recorder - 4 GB flash

the talent could place it in a pocket or whatever.obviously you wouldnt be able to monitor audio in that set up. alternatively it could be mounted on the camera with audio monitored through headphones.
    Last edited by enc; 01-20-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    of no use to the OP but i was looking into one of these to use with my D3100 and lavalier mic set up.
    Olympus VN 8700PC 4 GB Digital voice recorder - 4 GB flash
    I tried an Oly voice recorder a couple of years ago (can't remember the model) but it was nowhere near the quality of the H2 I replaced it with... :(
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    I tried an Oly voice recorder a couple of years ago (can't remember the model) but it was nowhere near the quality of the H2 I replaced it with... :(
    using an external mic to audio input ?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    using an external mic to audio input ?
    Yes, as supplied with the recorder. The H2 is better both with an external as well as with it's own built in mics.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk