Thread: rendering in Vegas & DVD Architect

Default rendering in Vegas & DVD Architect

I have an MPEG-2 file which I want to edit in Vegas Studio Platinum (version 10). I then want to add menus in DVD Architect (version 5). However, I cannot take my timeline from Vegas to DVD Architect. I have to first render my edited file in Vegas to create a new MPEG-2 file, then add menus to the new MPEG-2 file in DVD Architect, and then render again. This naturally doubles the rendering time and reduces quality. This doesn't make any logical sense at all. Why not edit and add menus in one process, saving time, complexity and quality? Pinnacle Studio does this, but Pinnacle has lots of other failings. Does anyone know the answer to my problem, i.e. am I missing something?

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andyatstanwell View Post
    ...then add menus to the new MPEG-2 file in DVD Architect, and then render again...
    If you render your files correctly in Vegas using the DVDa compatible presets, no re-render takes place at all in DVDa. Simply a short preparation sequence.

Just double check how you're rendering you files in the first place.

Andy is correct but make sure also that you have the correct audio option in the render options or DVDA will re render just for the audio. Example if you render an mpeg2 with pmc audio make sure DVDA project settings is PMC and not AC-3. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, however I cannot find the audio options. I select 'Project, Render as', enter filename, save as MPEG2, and use DVD Architect PAL video stream as the template. The only audio option I see is by pressing the Custom tab, but I don't see options for AC-3 etc. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

You are correct Vegas doesn't give you any other audio options on that template except to not include the audio so you can make a separate audio stream from your project to put into DVDA. As I find doing this a waste of time I never bother and just include the audio stream. I've just had a look in DVDA and I don't know how to stop DVDA from re-compressing the audio, the only options I can see is PMC or AC-3 sterio or AC-3 surround sound. As Vegas creates a mp3 audio with that template, I don't see a way around not having your audio re-compressed.

Sorry thats not very useful.

Cracked it (or at least until the next time)!! Your replies were very helpful. The project properties on both applications hold the key. I still think it would be better if Vegas and Architect were just one application though. Thanks for all your help.

I'm new to the forum. Can't see how to mark thread as resolved.
    Last edited by andyatstanwell; 01-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.

I'm glad you managed to sort it despite my hindrance.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.