Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subliminals

While I acknowledge when it comes to the workings of the mind nothing is black and white I would suggest that companies and governments would not waste money using subliminals if they did not work. The long term effectiveness is in some doubt but it is generally agreed that at least in the short term they do unknowingly influence a persons thoughts and actions etc.

Did you see the Derren Brown program where he used subliminals to influence two advertising executives, very clever.

I don't really think it's ok to hijack the OP thread with my ramberlings so I'll stop going on about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would suggest that companies and governments would not waste money using subliminals if they did not work.
    I dunno, Midnight. For centuries the "powers that be" wasted an awful lot of energy, money and lives on establishing if people were witches
    I'm rather disappointed you disapprove or believe in the power of subliminals as I had an idea for a short about them a few months back, which i intend to make later in the year. It wouldn't work if I had to put a warning up front. If you don't watch it, bang goes my one guarantee of a critique
    Tim

Subliminals never have and probably will never work. Incidentally, Derren Brown is one of the biggest frauds ever.

However, some people believe that it would work, hence why they are illegal.

I know the "powers that be" have done all sorts to waste tax payers money. Look at The Man Who Stares At Goats movie as an example. That movie was based on a real army experiment. However, it's not all just Derren Brown "magic" tricks and goat staring. There is a serious side to this such as MK-Ultra which started after WW2 and was officially ended in the 1970s but I doubt that it really finished, they probably just changed the name. They would never stop looking for new ways to control us with things like social engineering. Look at the works of people like Edward Burnys, Ewen Cameron or in the UK William Sargant whilst their work is an expansion of the subliminals subject, this is it's modern genus.

There is no point having a discussion as to whether subliminals work or not. I think that they can effect the mind, creating impulses of thought and action. AND others think it doesn't work. AND that's as far as we would get. I really don't want to get into why I feel this way about them and would rather you just thought of me as that uncle who's a bit funny about subliminals.

Tim if you post a video, I will watch it, end of.

sexopenyoureyes1fj5.jpg
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-18-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Blog Entries

More like a big brother, Midnight, though the few months between our birthdays make this rather implausible! Whilst my film idea is real enough, it's not going to be serious, more along the line sof something clay_9 might do - in fact it would probably be better presented by him.
    Tim

No, I think the mad uncle is more fitting, with emphasis on the mad. Did you ever here of a child that, when they were born it was discovered that they had a lump inside them. After surgery, it was found that it was an undeveloped twin, I saw it on channel 4 or 5 a while back. Your birthday comment must have subliminally triggered off that memory.

Your project does sound interesting while clay_9 is very good at what he does, I think you do quite well in front of the camera as well. While we are talking about subliminals I'm not above using them my self but only audio ones, I used things like the sound of a dentist drill in my last video to make people feel uneasy. This could be regarded as a subliminal. I suppose this makes me a hypocrite. Oh well live with it folks, I'm a complicated person.

Did you see the word in the picture from my last post?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Did you see the word in the picture from my last post?
    I hadn't spotted it, no. But as I think of that all the time anyway, it proves nothing. Maybe I should show it to Mrs Stannard
    Tim

You could try this unscientific experiment and make a video diary of the results.

1. Show Mrs S the picture.
    2. The next day buy her some flowers.
    3. Wait the subliminal stimuli to take effect.
    4. Post the resulting video in the appropriate section of the forum.

Blog Entries

Well that worked, though not quite as planned.
    1. Showed Mrs S the picture
    2. Bought her some flowers
    3. The subliminal message got through
    4. She accused me of having an affair and buying her flowers out of guilty feelings

(Actually that might make a quick sketch)
    Tim

Ok, well that test showed mixed results. The next test is to take her to a garden centre and see if she draggs you behind the evergreens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast