Thread: Best camera for budget music video. 250 or bellow :)

1. Question Best camera for budget music video. 250 or bellow :)

Hi, i am looking for a camera to shoot a budget music video. The better quality the camera the better as I dont want the video to look too cheap I am good at editting but there is only so much you can fix isnt there! Anyway.. I was thinking a HD camcorder so the quality looks good and you can get a decent frame rate cam for 250 or bellow cant you? I can get a refurbsihed Panasonic HDC-TM10 for 250, would this be the best option? Thanks so much

Blog Entries

This type of question is almost impossible to answer. Camera manufacturers don't put 'Ideal for budget music videos' on the box....

What you need to do is buy the best you can with whatever you have. Then learn how to use all its functions correctly. Then plan your shoot properly. Don't just rock up with your camcorder and expect to shoot an amazing video - it just won't happen. Plan your shots, think about what the video needs to do, plan some more - then go film.

The only advice camera wise is - buy something that has manual controls - dont rely on auto settings.

As one of our ex fourm regular used to say - Obsess over your skills, not your equipment.

Good luck!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    This type of question is almost impossible to answer. Camera manufacturers don't put 'Ideal for budget music videos' on the box....

What you need to do is buy the best you can with whatever you have. Then learn how to use all its functions correctly. Then plan your shoot properly. Don't just rock up with your camcorder and expect to shoot an amazing video - it just won't happen. Plan your shots, think about what the video needs to do, plan some more - then go film.

The only advice camera wise is - buy something that has manual controls - dont rely on auto settings.

As one of our ex fourm regular used to say - Obsess over your skills, not your equipment.

Good luck!
    Ok thank you very much. I just wanted to ask the question as i wanted to make sure i wasnt buying something which was overpriced. Thanks

4. Default

Does anyone have any specific product recommendations?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel232 View Post
    ...i wanted to make sure i wasnt buying something which was overpriced. Thanks
    I don't think its particularly overpriced. Its also available used on Amazon at 260. That model does have manual controls for focus, iris and white balance so you can be creative with it to a degree. Just make sure you have capable software and hardware to edit its output files.

6. Default

Basically, my main issue is with motion blur. I tried to shoot something a few months back using a SLR Camera which had a 1080p recording mode however, i think due to a low frame rate, it looked too blury to use. The sharpness when still was really good, just the blur was awful with motion. This is what i am most scared of, spending a lot of money and then experiancing this blurring again. Would it therefore maybe be best to purchase a higher end SD camcorder then a mid range HD camcorder? The videos are most liley to only be for youtube but i do obviously want them to look as profeshional as my budget will allow. P.S i am currently using Vegas. I really appreciate your help

Blog Entries

Best thing you can do is go to your local Jessop or decent camcorder retailer (not Currys or Comet) and try a few out to see what the quality is like. Tell them you have 400 to spend (thats what your choice is new so others in that price range should be comparible), get to play a bit - then go and buy a used one.