Thread: Red & green visual artifacts.

Default Red & green visual artifacts.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for having a community I can come to. Hopefully I can get an answer to my question.

I have recently had to reformat my computer, and reinstall every program I had. Luckily I was able to save all my video and image data, but here is my problem.

Before I was able to use images in Vegas up to 10,000 by 10,000.

For video rendering purposes I am now using images at 8,000 by 4,500.

Every time I zoom in to a specific range on every single image that sits at 8k x 4.5k I get a red and green and sometimes black all mixed artifact. Almost like a high contrast level. I take off all the effects and its still there...

I can not figure out why this is happening after my system recovery. I got a nice chunk of HDD space back, but this issue is preventing me from posting my video.

General information : Vista 64bit, Vegas Pro 10, video size 2,048 x 1,152, image clip size 8,000 x 4,500 (6 images)

Could it be a codec problem :\ This really has never happened before. Reducing the images to 5,000 by 2,813 make them work properly... But I just can't do that. I just can't reduce them by 3,000.

errorja.jpg

This looks like you have over cooked it on the colour correction settings. BUT you say you took off all the FX. Hmm.. Is the sample you posted from the preview screen or a rendered clip ? If rendered what settings did you use.

Preview screen.

I rendered an AVI uncompressed out of Vegas and it ended up being a waste of 50 GB because even the rendered version had the same exact issue.

The project settings are set to 2048 by 1152, best on quality, 8 bit, (32 bit makes it ugly and dark) 3d stereoscopic off.

I'd also like to add that when I have the preview at best - full is when this only occurs.

I can set the preview quality to best - half and the entire problem disappears on one part, and appears on another part.

When I render the video however, like I said above, the entire video will render this glitch. Which is troublesome.

I'm using the pan and crop tool, and it only happens when I zoom into certain parts.

2048 x 1152 is an unusual setting 1920 x 1080 is the normal Full HD resolution. You say 32 bit makes it dark, was that 32 bit video level or 32 bit full range ? 32 bit video level should be ok but this can depend on your original footage if you have a strong processor. If not you could try setting it to 8 bit for editing and then 32 bit for rendering, which in theory gives you a better picture. BUT I did say in theory sometimes these things don't always work out in practise. I suggest looping a small section and rendering that to see how it works for you.

Well I'm using images and moving the pan and crop tool around to make a short cut for animation out of Autodesk Maya. So the images started out from Maya each at 8,000 by 4,500 and that's what res they sit at in Vegas. Each are around 120 megabytes and I have six different ones. I've dried fiddling with and changing just about every settings I can find and nothing is fixing this issue. I am starting to think it's a software issue. Before my system recovery I was able to load and do what I am doing right now with even higher resolution images and even render them to 2048 by 1152. Granted to AVI always comes out taking up 1/10th of my hard drive :P

So I'm wondering if there is something I am missing from my computer that would get rid of the problem. Is there a recommended codec package? I'm willing to try anything, as it stands now I can't complete my project until I get this fixed. Reducing the size of the images is not an option for me because there is an immense amount of detail per image, and the animation relies on that detail.

Your obviously working in a world way above my head. I can't understand why you work at such high resolutions but only use the 8 bit pixel rate. I understand (a little) why you want the high resolutions for your animation work. I can only suggest check you have all the latest drivers for you graphics card. Gspot will tell you what codec you footage needs and if it is installed on your computer.

Good luck.

You know it's probably that the graphics card driver may be causing the issue. So I will go ahead and uninstall my new drivers and install my old backup drivers.

I used my old outdated drivers before my system recovery and had install the new ones after. So I will give that a try.

A similar issue happened with Nvidia and ATI graphics card drivers in Maya. The application was not supported and caused graphical issues in the scene view. It's since then been fixed but Sony may be conflicting now, when it wasn't before.

Edit: And.... No. The drivers both updated and outdated do not fix the issue either way.

I've narrowed down where it seems to be taking effect.

I can place the entire 8k by 4.5k image in Vegas and let it sit and have no issues whatsoever.

However if I use the pan and crop tool to zoom in to a specific region of the image, I get too close or too far away it does this. The artifacts then appear on the single image.

But any images that I zoom into do this as well.
    Last edited by MrEugie; 01-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.