Thread: Which SDHC Card Class?

Question Which SDHC Card Class?

I currently have a 8gb Scandisk SDHC card class 6 in my HDC-SD9 and am looking to buy a 32gb card. I don't care about the speed it takes to download into the computer, but what about the cameras write speed? I believe my MTS files average 16,000kbps, would I be fine with a class 4? Would I benefit from a class 10?
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

To be on the safe side (some manufacturers are faster than others, especially with their claims) a minimum of Class 6 is required for HD video. Class 4 will work, but you are likely to have problems, especially with longer clips. A Class 10 card is almost overkill, but you know about future-proofing!!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

I used class 4 SanDisc SDHC cards on a HDC-SD9 for a year on the highest bitrate without any issues.

For the price of a 8gb card I could buy a WIFI SD card that sends files directly to my laptop, anyone used these before?

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.

I've heard that they can send stills but wouldn't it take ages to send HD video files.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've heard that they can send stills but wouldn't it take ages to send HD video files.
    Ya but we are talking 802.11N speeds (108 mbps+) within a private network without being bottle necked through a modem over the internet. This way I could use an AC adapter and a laptop, and be able to record a time lapse with an SD9 for days.

not sure i would want to risk a 32 gb card just too much to loose if things went wrong

ive been testing transcend class 10 SD cards ..... been great so far and less than 10 for an 8GB,

dont think i could cope if i had to go back to tape

I used class 4 SanDisc SDHC cards on a HDC-SD9 for a year on the highest bitrate without any issues.
    Granted! The SD9 top bitrate is 17mbs, which a class 4 card can cope with. AVCHD has a maximum bitrate of 24mbs which many cameras are now capable of, and requires a class 6 card. Class 10, at present, is overkill, but that doesn't allow for advances in each generation of new cameras and associated technologies.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    not sure i would want to risk a 32 gb card just too much to loose if things went wrong

ive been testing transcend class 10 SD cards ..... been great so far and less than 10 for an 8GB,

dont think i could cope if i had to go back to tape
    Yeah but when I'm ripping an engine apart I don't want to touch my camera after I hit record all greasy so to record 4 hours of continuous work you kind of need a 32gb card.

Class 10 will give a minimum of 10MB/s. Class 6 - 6MB/s and so on. A manufacturer only has to hit said speed to call it a class 10 or class 6 etc. Look out for cards that state a higher MB/s as well as class as this will be the maximum the card will reach. If you think that, either now or later, this will be a benefit to you, go class 10.