Thread: Canons xls1 or the Sony DSR PD150?

Default Canons xls1 or the Sony DSR PD150?

Hi, i'm new on here. I would like to invest in a near broadcast quality digital camcorder to start shooting some amateur film projects.

I've been told that the Canon xls1 and Sony DSR PD150 are good models. My question to this forum is to ask you in your honest opinion, which is the better out of the two models for performance i.e. sound, lighting, frames per second, battery time, lenses, etc?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Ruffy29
    Life is one big adventure!

think about this:

how long are you going to be using in-camera sound recording for?

If you're going to be getting serious about your amateur productions, if that makes sense, you're probably going to start recording the audio to dat with a boom mic etc. If you don't ever think of yourself doing that (and i don't see why you'd discount it, if you're getting serious about the camera you're buying) then fair enough, but it's something to think about.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Default You raised a good point!

Come to think of it... I would eventually like to record with audio to dat with a boom mic, once i've raised enough funds.

So bearing that in mind which camera should i invest in for low budget films, i will be buying a secondhand camera - so would any of the above cameras be suitable, if no, could you recommend another make and model? My budget is 2000.

Thanks
    Life is one big adventure!

People tend to prefer the Xl1s to the PD150 for film like reproduction. Your stuck with the stock lens on the PD150, but there are many options on the Xl1s. Put it this way if you will DEFINATELY need the lens options you have no other camera choice
    First B/W semi pro music video in the bag! More to come.
    Dual Athlon MP 2800+ 2 Gig DDR Ram Pinnacle Edition V6.1 pro 2xXL1s