Thread: GoPro HD & HDC-SD9 (mixing formats on timeline)

Question GoPro HD & HDC-SD9 (mixing formats on timeline)

I have an HDC-SD9 that records in 1920x1080i (15-17mbps) .MTS - 29.970 (or 976) FPS - AVCHD
    I'm going to buy a GoPro HD that records in 1920x1080p 15mbps .MP4 - 30.00 FPS - H.264

When I render in Sony Vegas what would be better? .m2ts or .mp4
    I'm not sure what I should do with those frame rates either, all I know is I should render in progressive (de-interlacing the HDC-SD9)
    But if I use .mp4 then I am compressing my AVCHD but I'm not sure if putting h.264 MPEG4 in a .m2ts container will degrade the GoPro quality??
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

I think the best thing to do is try a section of each and see what you thingk is best.

I've read further into it and since .m2ts seems to be a MPEG4 container it would be wise to render .m2ts

It will be here in about a week to test!

I bought it, tested it, and when I imported the files I was surprised to find they aren't really 30.00fps as the GoPro specs say. They are 29.970 just like my AVCHD! So that is great news, they are both 1920x1080x12 AVC. Now I just have to test whether 2 things, one being final render format (MP4 or M2TS) and secondly whether to de-interlace the interlaced AVCHD files or interlace the progressive MP4 files. Since they are mostly uploaded to youtube and vimeo I believe progressive would be the alternate choice but for archiving both together on the same timeline I am not sure if it's worth rendering an interlaced copy or if the interlaced AVCHD will look fine in progressive format on a future bluray disk....

I rendered with Sony AVC MPEG4 using Vegas @ 16.5mbps (ended up spitting out a 15,100kbps file) original file was AVC MPEG4 @ around 14,900kbps. I also applied a slight "color curves" and oddly enough the Main Concepts AVC MPEG4 came out about 20mb smaller than Sony's; couldn't really tell the difference. Viewing from youtube in 480p it looks the same in M2TS format until you choose 1080p but my HDC-SD9 is the opposite; looks better in M2TS than MPEG4. So I'm not sure what I am going to do when it comes time to mix them both on the same timeline.

[video posted in this thread http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...080p-test.html ]
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-29-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Suggest you use 960 or 720 on the Go Pro...it invariably produces better results especially if the footage is fast action. I have been setting my ( test) projects on the incoming Go Pro footage ( which tends to be the main content) and so far regardless what format the other content is, it seems to work out well. That said I have not had to include a second HD video source.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Suggest you use 960 or 720 on the Go Pro...it invariably produces better results especially if the footage is fast action. I have been setting my ( test) projects on the incoming Go Pro footage ( which tends to be the main content) and so far regardless what format the other content is, it seems to work out well. That said I have not had to include a second HD video source.
    If anything I would use the 720p 60fps setting BUT I wonder if I would see any disadvantages to uprendering it to 1080p 60fps, I don't even think Vegas will let me render a 1080p 60fps M2TS file it seems to only show up to 29.970 but maybe it uses my source to determine options. But then again as far as TVs go a Bluray player that upsizes a picture for a 1080 TV does it in realtime and Vegas does it frame by frame so I assume the quality from a prerendered 1080p file would be higher.

I've tried upping 720p footage to 1080p and couldn't see any improvment in quality, you just get a bigger file size but then again my monitor is only a 720p monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've tried upping 720p footage to 1080p and couldn't see any improvment in quality, you just get a bigger file size but then again my monitor is only a 720p monitor.
    Exactly, same here. I'm thinking the only way to put this to the test would be to have two Bluray players connected to one 32" or up LCD HDTV, one with a 720 disc the other with an upsized 1080 disc and freeze them both on the same frames and switch back and forth. If 720 cuts it on a large TV I will down render my SD9s 1080 to 720.