Thread: Is sony vegas 10 better than 7 in terms of rendering and preview speeds?

1. Question Is sony vegas 10 better than 7 in terms of rendering and preview speeds?

i am currently using sony vegas for editing on my computer. Specs are 1.83 ghz 3 gb ddr ii ram nvidia 8400 gs 256 mb. Now my problem is that the preview is very slow even in quarter draft preview. I'm editing video to music and while playing it to check if the video goes along it just shows 1 or 2 frames may for the entire 10 seconds that i play it. Also i'm using 720p footage. Now is sony vegas 10 better in this regard than 7 or no. And if no which software should i use that will give me smooth preview playback. Please do not mention casual video editors like movie maker or powerdirector. I want something thats as powerfull as vegas. Also upgrading my system is not an option for me. Thank you!
    Last edited by dhruv990; 01-15-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Vegas 7 is about 4 years away from Vegas 10.

There have been many improvements.

Unless you supply the format, and consequently knowledge of the CODEC needed by Vegas to do the job, saying what those improvements have been, in relationship to what you are editing would be a pointless exercise. You really need to state the format of your video. I'm guessing its HDV - yes? However, have you edited this "type" of footage before in V7? If not what Format were you able to edit comfortably?
    Analysis without base-line info remains guesswork.
    . . . .

3. Default

oh sorry, i am using 720p wmv footage. I tried re encoding to xvid/divx avi and h264 mp4 but sony wouldn't recognise it. I haven't tried mpg though. But i would prefer to use the original wmv if i could. So what would you suggest?
    Last edited by dhruv990; 01-15-2011 at 06:42 PM.